Trying to rescue this old girl ,

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topcat

Reaction score
Hi people , recently been informed of this lovely early bay sat in a field , went over to see it and its surprisingly solid and all the bits are in the back of it , according to the m plate it's a chianti red panel van and apparently has a Porsche 914 engine (I'm not 100%) of this , I've been in talks with the farmer , and we are close to a deal , need to sell my motorbike as well if anyone is interested lol , I'll update this thread as things progress but here's some pictures , so far only rot I can find is a little bit of holing on the front panel but really not major !

Looks like a nice find - bet you find a bit more iron oxide underneath though!! :shock:

Looking forward to the resto thread! 8)

The engine will most likely be the vw type 4 1700cc it fits in with this being a 72 XO.
there's worse busses out there a lot of work ahead of you and part sourcing watch that price some people seem to think that these rusty shells in their fields are gold dust so hold out with ridiculous expectations

Welcome to the forum. Exciting project there! Make sure the sliding door is there too - if its not factor in circa 4 to 5 hundred notes for one - panel van ones are even rarer than window ones.

Good luck with negotiation - keep us posted! Got to love a RHD!! :D

Yeah the sliders in it as is the other cav door and the windscreen and front bumper rubber cab floor matts etc and its suprisingly solid underneath from what I can gather the bloke partially restored it and then either moved away or died and the farmer repossed the bus thru monies owed to him , but apparently it was driven like that about 10-15miles to where it currently rests , allthough I have said to the farmer as far as im.concerned the engine is a dud as iv not heard it run etc allthough im sure it will go again no problems , we are talking about 1k price wise

Topcat said:
Yeah the sliders in it as is the other cav door and the windscreen

Ah! So that's what that green curvy thing is! It's a lichen-loaded windscreen LOL!!

Looks like a nice project with good potential. Keep us updated :D

Latest posts