twin carbs on a single port

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdeano

Reaction score
Anyone running this set up?, any good or not worth doing?, thinking of doing this but not sure it will be worth the extra layout, sorry if its been brought up before but tried looking in the search bit but tapatalk on the phone won't show anything!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about an exhaust?, standard still ok or would i need to upgrade, and what kind of extra grunt, as they say, would i expect, (just motorway cruising and hills!)

much better than a 32/36 upgrade in my experience

invest in some mild porting as well and you'll get noticeable results

I would persoanlly consider an exhaust at the same time,

an engine is a big air pump, by adding twin carbs your getting more in and by a better exhaust your letting it out easier thus improving performance.

Weber's:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC129K1401/weber-34-ict-carb-kit-t1-2-sp-or-use-ac1297401/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Empi's:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC1297401/empi-34-epc-carb-kit-t1-2-sp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tHAT'S MY SET UP TOO, (bloody caps lock)

Apparently it can feel better in a bus as there's apparently more low-down torque with SP engines than TP's (though lower figures overall at full chat, of course).

However having only ever driven my bus ~15' I can't really comment on performance!

SP/TC manifolds were about £75 new for the pair I remember. And it is still possible (though awkward) to get the engine in and out with the TC setup attached, which saves much faff.

I also have a new single-pipe exhauust too, though can't remember what it was called. Was only about £85 though... (previously had a Monza 4-tip which looked bloody awful on my van!)

Cheers chaps, bundle kits look interesting alex, got a standard exhaust on at the mo, but think a vintage speed or similar might be a bit OTT to be honest, got a leak from the flywheel area so will have the engine out soon, very tempted, are there any more upgrades needed if i swap to twin carbs?, coil, dizzy etc etc, running bog standard on a B code engine

Funny enough, I have recently just had my twin carbs removed and gone back to stock. Never looked back, I changed my spark plugs in under 30 minutes yesterday something that would have taken hours with the twin carbs in the way. Can't say a have noticed must difference at the top end speed but I would say there is a difference going up hills where it struggles more. Mind you, they are never going to fly up hills anyway ;-)

Just my experience so hope that helps.

TakeLifeEasy said:
Funny enough, I have recently just had my twin carbs removed and gone back to stock. Never looked back, I changed my spark plugs in under 30 minutes yesterday something that would have taken hours with the twin carbs in the way. Can't say a have noticed must difference at the top end speed but I would say there is a difference going up hills where it struggles more. Mind you, they are never going to fly up hills anyway ;-)

Just my experience so hope that helps.

So out of the 2 options which do you prefer?,
Probably cost about £5-600 to upgrade so still in 2 minds, might be worth spending it on other things

If your good at saving cash and it hasn't taken years to save up the £600 to upgrade, I would carry on saving and get 1776.

A) your engine may be getting tired end float/valve seats etc and twin carbs just push it over the edge to failure.

B) You really are not gonna gain that ouch performance.

C) If you do opt for the TC I would factor in a rolling road session plus a few £ for new jets.

*Sam* said:
If your good at saving cash and it hasn't taken years to save up the £600 to upgrade, I would carry on saving and get 1776.

A) your engine may be getting tired end float/valve seats etc and twin carbs just push it over the edge to failure.

B) You really are not gonna gain that ouch performance.

C) If you do opt for the TC I would factor in a rolling road session plus a few £ for new jets.

Saving cash with my missus!!, its spent before it goes into the bank!!
A 1776 i'd love but at £2-3K not an option
At the mo, might see the season out as is and drop the engine out over winter and see what spare cash i'll have by then

Latest posts