Twin carbs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHewsonFamily

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just bought an early bay off of eBay without checking it over or test driving it. Foolish right? Well, you have to take a gamble in life every now and again. Not knowing much about the engines I was wondering if someone could help me identify was carburretors it is fitted with.

I am due to pick it up from South Wales sometime this week and then I will post up some more pics. Expect lots of questions from me in the near future :)

Regards,

Colin

TheHewsonFamily said:
Hello everyone,

Just bought an early bay off of eBay without checking it over or test driving it. Foolish right? Well, you have to take a gamble in life every now and again. Not knowing much about the engines I was wondering if someone could help me identify was carburretors it is fitted with.

I am due to pick it up from South Wales sometime this week and then I will post up some more pics. Expect lots of questions from me in the near future :)

Regards,

Colin

Hi Colin,

In the words of a very wise east londoner,

'He who dares Rodders, He who dares!'

I can certainly help no problems at all.

They should have what carbs they are written on the side of the carb (Obvious answer I know)

Also if you can get a photo and post it on here we should all be able to help you.

Cheers and welcome,

Alex

does the previous owner not know? If DRLA, IDF or Kadron (even) would probably use as selling point, assume Solex, which, i am beginning to find may not be a bad thing.

The engine is a nearly new 1641 with twin 34 dell orto. Problems found so far are a cracked alternator case caused by someone fitting the wrong woodruff key and then over tightening with the wrong number of shims. It's a shame given that it is only 2 years old and has covered less than 3000 miles.replacement part is not expensive though.

Other issue is a cracked engine support beam (moustache bar?). There are cracks at both ends which is slightly worrying as to what has caused this. Any ideas on where I can get a replacement part from?

Next is the ignition. The original ignition has been removed and a universal ignition put in the dash. The housing for the ignition barrel has been taken out of the steering column as well, which is proving difficult to find a replacement for.

Then there is the fuel gauge. The garage think that the sender unit in the tank is faulty but there doesn't seem to be any access to it without removing the engine. Any suggestions?

Once these bits are fixed, it looks like we are okay. Then it is on to fixing the rust in the bodywork. I may learn how to mig weld to do some of the work myself. The bottom of the bus has all been done, it's just the usual areas around window seals and panel seams that need fixing. Following that it's a full stri down and respray some time next year.

That should keep me busy enough for now!

If I have done this right, you should be able to see pictures of the engine here :

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Colin_Hewson/library/Mobile%20Uploads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dell's are good, sounds like you have a set of baby Dells fitted which is a decent option for a 1641.
The engine support bars can be difficult to source so you may need to have it welded up for now. It it was not correctly tightened then vibrations can cause fatigue.
Are you planning to run the bus whilst restoring it? If so then the following may help.

1) change the oil and inspect the old oil for bits of metal to give you an idea of the state of the engine etc.
2) check point gaps, valve clearances, plugs, leads and dizzy cap condition, change and adjust as needed.
3) check all cooling tin is present and if you have a thermostat fitted or not
4) check wheel bearing play and brakes for any leaks etc
5) get a long sheet of paper and start at the front and work back noting all the items you need to fix/ replace .
6) estimate the time and cost to fix these, triple it and add a year.
7) learn to be tenacious and buy the Bentley Manual
8) read and search through the tech posts then ask lots of questions to folks on here
9) suddenly realise that the bus has taken over you life
10) stick at it as the smiles per miles in the end are worth everything...

Good luck and don't forget to post lots if pictures!!!

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Some good advice from Jonboylaw there.

Then there is the fuel gauge. The garage think that the sender unit in the tank is faulty but there doesn't seem to be any access to it without removing the engine. Any suggestions?

You are quite right there is no access to it without removing the engine. The only other option to access is a bit drastic, and involves cutting a small square out the back deck behind the seat. Some folks have done this -if you do a search for fuel sender in 'technical' forum you will find a few.

However the sender may not be the problem, its worth checking the earthing point behind the dash for the gauge first.

Some don't worry at all about an accurate fuel gauge and just use a rule of thumb of filling up say every 200 miles. It all depends on how much you need to do and what the priorities are :)

Latest posts