twin pipes on a bay...........now edited with a new find!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
can you fit twin pipes on a bay?like you see on a beetle or are they frowned upon?
is it a no go if you have a towbar?

:sick0019:

Hi, the answer is yes and you will find pictures on here of buses with them. I plan to go this route as it looks better than standard but is cheaper than going the full vintage speed route that is fashionable these days. I figure the breathing and heating due to the heater pods should be ok and will look better than the disgraceful rusty empi monza contraption that is currently hanging from my rear. As for tow bar, I'm not sure but I would like to fit one so let me know if you find out, Cheers, Mike

Any excuse for a pic of my rusty ass

467e0876.jpg

:D

I don't know about a tow ball though?

I've got a beetle back box on mine and it looked and [when it ran] sounded lovely!

I did hear once that the standard beetle tips might choke the engine a little, but that could just be exaggerated rumours because I've yet to have it substantiated with reasoning.

gvee said:
I've got a beetle back box on mine and it looked and [when it ran] sounded lovely!

I did hear once that the standard beetle tips might choke the engine a little, but that could just be exaggerated rumours because I've yet to have it substantiated with reasoning.

Beetle tailpipes are larger diameter than early bay tailpipes, and there are two of them... :)

Beetles did also come with 1600 engines with the peashooter tailpipes.

Don't forget standard Beetle exhausts (with some of the internal baffling removed, easily done) were used on Porsche Rally Beetles, developing a fair bit more than 50bhp. ;)

Tofufi said:
gvee said:

Beetle tailpipes are larger diameter than early bay tailpipes, and there are two of them... :)

Beetles did also come with 1600 engines with the peashooter tailpipes.

Don't forget standard Beetle exhausts (with some of the internal baffling removed, easily done) were used on Porsche Rally Beetles, developing a fair bit more than 50bhp. ;)

125hp I believe. 1599cc, 296 degree cam and Weber 46 IDA's. Awesome!!!

sharky71 said:
can you fit twin pipes on a bay?like you see on a beetle or are they frowned upon?
is it a no go if you have a towbar?

I don't know which towbar you have, but with a Westy-towbar the mounting plate of the electrical connection has to be modified/relocated a little to be able to fit the right tailpipe. Other then that it fits:

30c3e6e.jpg

(Van belongs to one of my friends, Jerupke, he is on here too but not very often)

Merlydog said:
01DAE9EF-4DCB-43B5-9D13-7D892FF3FFCC-21109-0000146D7A3CE838.jpg

Twinnies.. :) stock bug exhaust on my 1776 with tapered S/S tailpipes from GSF.

really luvin these merly'.
i got a towbar fitted,not a westy,a removeable one so me and the family dont smack r shins when we go round the back of the van.
got it off the samba.
not sure if there is clearance for your nice twins :roll:
is that a standard bug silencer??

mister said:

467e0876.jpg

I love the look of these, Very Nice!!!
Is it just a stock Beetle exhaust that you need? would the heat exchangers still fit? I have a 1641cc dont know if that would make any difference?

I now have a beetle twin on my 1776. Straight forward fit and uses heat exchangers.

I don't think I would use one on a bigger engine but my mine seems to have lots of torque which is what I was after so all good by me. It will work fine on a 1641.

Rubbish picture I had on my phone but you get the idea

image_zpsf9af1054.jpg

one of LP's mates runs them on a 1955cc happlily for 20k miles.

debafffled i even tried on my 2027.. surprisingly well.. to 3k rpm! plently of restriction on bug pipes is on the tail pipes.. hence why ub ones work so well... run twin bus pipes.. ie straight through and its not much noisy.. yet adds a fair bit of performance.

Oh.go.on.then said:
I now have a beetle twin on my 1776. Straight forward fit and uses heat exchangers.

I don't think I would use one on a bigger engine but my mine seems to have lots of torque which is what I was after so all good by me. It will work fine on a 1641.

Rubbish picture I had on my phone but you get the idea

image_zpsf9af1054.jpg

They look really good, av they got any noise to them (Loud) or dont you notice them. I will deff be doing this in a few weeks time (aka next pay day!) :lol:

Scutch said:
mister said:

467e0876.jpg

I love the look of these, Very Nice!!!
Is it just a stock Beetle exhaust that you need? would the heat exchangers still fit? I have a 1641cc dont know if that would make any difference?

Cheers
the exhaust and pipes where on my bus when it was imported from Cal, its a bug one. I've now got a 1641 and heat exchangers too, all works fine :D

Cheers, it's not overly noisy and sound a lot better than the empi thing that was on before. To be honest the bark from the carbs is noisier than the exhaust inside the van when you put your foot down.

I must learn how to copy a previous post in when I reply like everyone else does.........

Latest posts