Two questions...seat springs and sliding door.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yet again I'm looking for some advice :oops:

Two questions really...

1. Seat springs
I need some replacement springs for da broken ones on my cab seats. Anyone have any old seats that they could give me some springs outta? Would cost too much to ship an entire new seat to Ireland! Its for a '68.

2. My sliding door
(Right hand side) has seen better days. Both the inner and outer bits need replacing at the bottom and there is a crinkle in the outer door skin about half way up. Also, the inner cross panel has come away from the outer skin at the centre of the door. Theres about a 1/2 inch gap between them,...not sure if they were just glued or spot welded?

Considering that I would need to replace the whole outer skin and a repair panel on the inner skin, and then try to get the outer and inner to join together, would I be better off getting a new door (they are still available from VW Heritage) or get a secondhand one from FBI, or repair the old one?

Thanks for your help...again! :lol:

Re the sliding door I know Strongy has one for a 68 with a small old repair that needs welding up but otherwise good, hes in Oz at the mo...

Sorry but not sure if the van is LHD or RHD.

Re- the heritage doors, the indent behind the handle is different on a late bay door + there will be a hole for where the lock goes.

If you are after a LHD door, deffo go with a good import from somewhere like FBI, the time and effort to repair the darn thing greatly outweighs the cost of an OG one.

If it's a RHD door you are after.....erm
Be worth trying FBI, might get lucky on one from OZ or SA.

I think the inner cross panels are glued to the outer skin, I'm lucky enough to have an early NOS RHD slider and there is no evidence of spot welds on the outer skin.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts