Type 2 engine in a variant...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
For various reasons, have been kicking around with the idea of getting a variant squareback... :-/ . Looking at one on the e of bay, which comes sans engine/gearbox. Thing is, have a decent 1600 engine & box laying around. Know nothing about variants, so would it fit..? Looking at the pics, thinking maybe that the pancake type is more suited....

I'm no guru but I think that the crankcase is different in a pancake engine.

karl

Just been looking at a early bay for sale on the net over here that claims to have a variant engine :? Perhaps they are interchangable this way with a little fettling but as Westy Rich says a pancake type engine rather than an upright 1600 lump would be necessary for the variant?

The cases are essentially the same but most of the stuff that bolts on is specific. Youll need a correct fan, cowlings, all tinware, oil cooler, oil filler/dipstick, hanger bar, generator, heat exchangers, exhaust .... shall I go on?
Early Type 3s are also single releif cases, maybe worth bearing in mind.

Thanks guys. Pretty much what I thought. Will probably be putting my rhd earlybay up for sale soon. Should be able to fund a decent one for the 4k region I will be wanting.... ;-)

Depends how bothered you are about early or late models. I sold my late for £4k and it was about as nice an example as you could get to be honest. Early models may be a bit more cash though ...

Clem

You should have seen the prices at Stanford Hall. Early or late, anything in what I would call
'average condition was up for 8-10 K. VGC stuff 12-14K and one mint Westy was 18 or 19K I think. Mind boggling...

Still reminded me to up teh insurance value on my steel and oxide combo.

JS

james_stan said:
Clem

You should have seen the prices at Stanford Hall. Early or late, anything in what I would call
'average condition was up for 8-10 K. VGC stuff 12-14K and one mint Westy was 18 or 19K I think. Mind boggling...

JS

Sorry, I was talking about Variant prices. 'Lots' less that campers! :mrgreen:

Clem said:
james_stan said:
Clem

JS

Sorry, I was talking about Variant prices. 'Lots' less that campers! :mrgreen:

Oh, err, I see..

.. I'll get my coat.

Latest posts