type4 engine into 68 bus, is it possible

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinbusRonnie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

i'm thinking about putting a 1700 type engine into my 68 bus, i know its possible but

Have any of you done the conversion ?
Do we like in a splitbus have to shorten the heater boxes.
I have a 210 mm clutch on the 68 hp, will this fit the og 68 gearbox.
Will the og flat type4 cooling system have to be modified.
What about the og fuel pump, must it be replaced by an electrical unit

Thanks
Ronnie
Copenhagen

there was a 2ltr type 4 in my single cab but changed it back to a type 1

main prob is the mounts and gear box match - but not impossible

i'll see if i can get a bit more info

loving the justification with that milky.

when i bought my 72 dormobile back in 200 it had a 2L type 4 engine and matching 6rib gearbox in it. i dont know about whats involved in converting it but would have thought thre's alot less hassle to convert to type4 than to convert to a porsche or subaru.

you speak to anyone with a type1 engine and they will say "dont swap for a type 4" and anyone who has a type4 says "dont go for a type1"

what i do know is that a type 1 engine is alot cheaper than a type 4 engine - just look for turnkey engines on thesamba. For example a stoker type1 crank is less than £200 whereas a storker crank fo ra type4 would set you back closer to £400. the main reason for the cheapness of type1 parts in comparison to type4 parts is because of the demand and quantity that they make - considering the whole beetle market was type1.

if your engine ist broken i dont think you should fork out for atype 4 just get a stroker/larger B&P type1. it should work out cheaper in the long run

o ye, just remembered a full gasket set for a type for is something like £40 - compare that to a type one.

NaFe

Haveacamper said:

I have a type 4 engined Bay that has had ongoing engine problems since day one and i am a full time mechanic .Try to get one fully rebuilt and you are looking at £2500 plus, recon units that are not worth the paint they have been spruced up with are around £1300 plus, attempt to properly rebuild yourself and add paying for line boring, acid dipping and removal of oil gallery plugs and re -tapping etc etc the cost soon builds up, Solex carbs are over complicated and worn out, replacements Webers are £600. Parts are loads more than type 1 . Heat exchangers are too expensive, replacement pistons and barrels are too expensive and only made by one company and the quality control is suspect . Cylinder heads crack and replacements are suspect.Fuel pumps are rare and expensive if you can find them, thermostats are mega money, tinware is not available new .One bonus of the type 4 is that it is better cruise all day and gets up hills and that is it ! Just buy a factory built type 1 1600 twin port and enjoy the simplicity.
P.S I have loads of surplus type 4 engine spares should anyone need any !?

Milky said:
Haveacamper said:

I have a type 4 engined Bay that has had ongoing engine problems since day one and i am a full time mechanic .Try to get one fully rebuilt and you are looking at £2500 plus, recon units that are not worth the paint they have been spruced up with are around £1300 plus, attempt to properly rebuild yourself and add paying for line boring, acid dipping and removal of oil gallery plugs and re -tapping etc etc the cost soon builds up, Solex carbs are over complicated and worn out, replacements Webers are £600. Parts are loads more than type 1 . Heat exchangers are too expensive, replacement pistons and barrels are too expensive and only made by one company and the quality control is suspect . Cylinder heads crack and replacements are suspect.Fuel pumps are rare and expensive if you can find them, thermostats are mega money, tinware is not available new .One bonus of the type 4 is that it is better cruise all day and gets up hills and that is it ! Just buy a factory built type 1 1600 twin port and enjoy the simplicity.
P.S I have loads of surplus type 4 engine spares should anyone need any !?

just realised that my previous comment may have came across a bit harsh, it wasnt meant to. i have contemplated swapping back to a type 1. with the budget i have for rebuilding my type4 (similar to what you have said above - £2500) I am reviewing my options.

NaFe

just realised that my previous comment may have came across a bit harsh, it wasnt meant to. i have contemplated swapping back to a type 1. with the budget i have for rebuilding my type4 (similar to what you have said above - £2500) I am reviewing my options.

NaFe[/quote
No Probs ! i had a terminally sick type 4 1800cc which needed a rebuild but the quote was £3000 and i just could not justify that in the current market .I managed to pick up a ex Nato type 4 industrial engine from a guy in Yeovil for £420.It was all complete with carbs etc and i have manged to sell off the ancillaries and the remains of my old engine and now it just owes me approx £210 and still have loads of bits still to sell .I hope to get down to £150 and then i will be happy.The industrial engine i heard it basically running as it was fitted into a Baja Beetle but the guys had limited knowledge about tunning or wiring the engine or the chokes up properly but judging by the exterior condition and inside the rockers it looks to have had hardly any use but will have to see once i get it fitted and driving down the road.
These type 4 engines are cursed somewhat !i have yet to hear a sweet starting, even idling and quiet running one at any of the shows.This may change though as i am determined to get somewhere this year without breaking down .

i dont want to digress from the origin of this thread, but think this discussion adds to people knowledge of the type 4 on a predominently type1 forum.

my engine was a bit of an unknown when i bought it back in 2006. the only honest part of the van that i bought was the engine. I remember going to a "Techenders" with people off the JK forum in the april and remember turning up and "Jimbo the westie man" said he couldnt believe how quiet my engine was!

i went travelling around france and Italy over 8wks and covered 3500miles. i must say that it didnt miss a beat. i only decided to rebuild the engine because i was carrying out a full resto on my camper (which is still on going). it was lucky because it looked as if the cam had done 100,000 judging by the grooves in lobes.

therefore i dont think i can agree with the poor standard of the engine, but i will definitely agree with the expensive cost of the engine

NaFe

I've been looking into type 4 engines into beetles recently.

Doing something along these lines...

06010004.jpg

Would be far preferable, in my opinion, to hacking the engine bay about ;)

A little in-depth perhaps? I've been contemplating it as I want a reliable engine for my bug with a silly power output.

See here for where I got the picture from:

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=499563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm assuming you didn't start that thread too? :oops:

Froggy: See here ;)

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?p=5345894#post5345894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim.

Plenty of type4 into a bug info........
http://tunacan.net/t4/howto/starting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all your info.

As you can see i changed my user, as kleinbusRonnie was impossible to login on ???

Well, i can understand it is not a lot more easy to get a type4 into an earlybay as a splitbus. Or is it?

I do have a 65' bus(with a 1500 type1 tranny..swingaxle), and after a lot of talk about getting my type4 into that, i wanted to see it in real, so i pulled the type1 engine out and made a dummy install of the 2 types of type4 i have. One with og cooling and one with upright cooling. The one with og cooling was simply to long..not much. So if i wanted to install a type4 into my splitbus, i had to use upright cooling, shorten the heaterboxes, use a electrical fuel pump and deal with clutch problems and some other small issues. In the end i choose to stick with the type1 engine.
Now i will do the same with the new 68' bus, simply dummy install the type4's. The good thing is that i have a lot of type4 parts, a newer clutch house, 215mm clutch. A rear apron in can modify etc...
I am really hoping that i can use the og cooling as i'm afraid of using the type1 cooling i have(its for a dune buggy) and a new DTM set is quite expensive. Also hope to use the og heating boxes as i have a very good set.
Well i migth end up choosing type1 again..but it could be cool to finally use one of my type4 engines to something useful.

Thanks for the links to Tunacan and VZI (i have no treads there)
i will post pictures if i make the type4 swap..

Ronnie

Latest posts