Tyre advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbmx

Reaction score
Hi guys :D I need some advice about tyres for the back. My current setup is horseshoe plates and one spline and 175 80 14 tyre on stock rims. It works fine buy gives me a nose down stance which I would like to eliminate. At the moment I found a deal on federal 205 60 14 tyres. Do you think I will have probs with them regarding fitting and gear ratios.

Any help much appreciated because I'm lost at the moment. Thanks.

You really want to avoid width with the horseshoe plates. The narrower the tyre the easier to put on and off.

This calculator will help you figure out how much lower you're going with different tyre combos. http://www.brspecialtuning.co.uk/Tyre%20size%20calculator.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new tyre above will take 17mm off your ride height. You probably want to go a little lower than that if there is a lot of rake.

Try and keep your Rolling Radius above or as close to 310mm to avoid stress on the gearbox. 185 70 seems like a decent choice but will lower the rear 2". Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks for the site, will try and find a size which will give me the ride height I want without sacrifing top speed. 8)

I recently changed my front tyres. I was running 175/55/15 continental car tyres, 82/84 rated.
Just out on some 185/60/15 continental Vanco tyres, 92/94 rated. It is completely different to drive. Before it would want to understeer all the time, now it grips, steering feels positive and the ride much smoother, no crashing.
Bought from one of the online tyre places for £90 a corner delivered.
When we took the old tyres off, both were filled with rubber dust from the side walls delaminating, I will never be using sub 92 load rated tyres again.

Definitely go for the correct load tyre what ever you decide.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts