Tyre rating

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlybayinthevillage

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1972 XO
Had a big blow out on the rear tyre this weekend.
Tyre rating is 90S but some tyres seem to have 99T on them.
Is this enough for a T2 camper?
Any advice would be appreciated before i buy a new one.

Mine are 92 at the rear and 77 at the front but mines a microbus so a lot lighter than a camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original spec is 1520lbs, or 690kg.

page58.jpg

That's equivalent to a load rating of 95 at a minimum.

Just because you have a microbus, doesn't mean you can't load it as heavily as a camper...

I would go with the 99T. Don't risk it :)

when i first got mine i put a set of whitewalls on …… then got cold feet about them being up to the job. ended up getting a set of continental vanco 2 tyres, commercial rated:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m90b0s513p112858/Continental_Tyres_Van_Continental_ContiVanco_2_Continental_Conti_Vanco_2_-_195_75_R14_C_106Q_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats a great price compared to what i paid at the time (about £90 a tyre i think).

Would have to carry nearly a tonne to get it to max laden weight, which just would not happen.

Jay81 said:
Would have to carry nearly a tonne to get it to max laden weight, which just would not happen.

It might....but it wouldn't move, mine wouldn't anyway :mrgreen:

Jay81 said:

It's still a legal requirement to have tyres with an appropriate load index for the maximum laden weight of the vehicle, not the weight you think might be in it.

I wouldn't run anything other than commercial van tyres on my bus.

Tofufi said:
Jay81 said:

It's still a legal requirement to have tyres with an appropriate load index for the maximum laden weight of the vehicle, not the weight you think might be in it.

I wouldn't run anything other than commercial van tyres on my bus.

Agree with that. My bus had original USA tyres when I got it. Changed to a set of Hankook commercial rated (102 load rate) and the ride is transformed. Steers better, quieter, less roll on corners, better fuel consumption. Those four little patches of rubber are all that connects you to the road: don't compromise.

Enough reading for a whole evening in the tyre sticky on the samba!
Some take load ratings very seriously.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I put some Federal SuperSteel XL's on the back of my bus, they were about £55 fitted per corner from Halfords(of all places?)

They are load rated at 95.

Fronts are load rated at 91, some CEAT ones that came on the bus. I figured the front didn't need a load rating quite as high cos a camper weight ratio is 40/60 ish I think.

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

Don't won't to get into an argument about tyres soon people are always going to stick to the letter of law. But I know the tyres I run are more than adequate for my bus, and the end if the day my bus fully packed properly weighs less than a pop top camper with driver.

I m certainly not in the minority with my tyre choice :)

Anyway don't you reckon Modern load ratings are made for modern vehicles? My bus has never been over 60, whilst my daily (with the same load rated tyres at the rear) weighs more and travels a hell of a lot faster?

I wouldn't run anything other than commercial van tyres on my bus.[/quote]

I'm of the same opinion, there was a reason they came out of the factory with commercial tyres on. I wonder how many people who are running car tyres have informed their insurance??? If not, have an accident and guess who's got wiggle room to refuse your claim?? Gets even more scary when somebody gets seriously injured, just think, tyre blows out, you swerve across three lanes of motorway, only to smash into the minibus carrying a dozen barristers to their christmas party... :msn4:

Tofufi said:

Is that manual for an early bay campmobile? I've been reading a few tire pressure recommendations and they all vary slightly (not that it matters that much). If you have a big heavier engine in the back, you would need to increase your inflation.

One of the manuals says this:

28 psi front, 36 psi rear with 3/4 load,
or 41 psi fully loaded.
Add 3 psi for long high speed trips.

magoo said:
Tofufi said:

Is that manual for an early bay campmobile?

It's the standard VW handbook that came with a microbus/panel van/pickup in 1971 (i.e. 1600 engine, not a type IV lump). :)

cover.jpg

Personally, I'd not run tyres that were not 8 Ply Rated. :)

So is there a difference between car tyres a that are 92 rated and van tyres that are 92 rated?

Jay81 said:
So is there a difference between car tyres a that are 92 rated and van tyres that are 92 rated?

Yes. The maximum inflation pressure typically is different - tyres with a higher ply rating are tested (and approved for use) at a higher inflation pressure.

Before they can be sold in Europe, tyres undergo performance tests to ensure they are suitable for use.

The pressures depend on the speed category but as an example, standard tyres with speed ratings P to S (94-113mph) are tested to be suitable for use at up to 37.5 PSI. The same size and load rated tyre with XL (extra load) or 'reinforced' markings would be tested for use at 43.5PSI - much more like the pressure you should be using on the back of a (laden) VW camper. :)

Latest posts