Tyres for my (now refurb'd) design 90's

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lard

Reaction score
Hi

I received a set of 16" rims yesterday (thanks andewilson!) and dropped them off today to get refurbished :)

Going for a black chrome finish - question is though .... what tyre size!

Understand that I should go for the same rolling radius and have a set of butty adapters (20 wide front 25 rear) - is there anything I should watch out for with the extra width - my standard wheels don't rub currently but is is still wise to go for slightly lower profile fronts to be sure?

20131219_122119_zpsk5us0vs8.jpg

EDIT:

This is the colour I've gone for....

1018.jpg

Lard, I've posted mine in the stance thread as I'm running 16's. I think mine are 7j rims and no spacers, also beam is std width. I couldnt tell you the offset without having a wheel off. Rear tyres are a tad smaller than stock ,(but not much ) and fronts mean my speedo is about 8mph less.
Hope that helps .
Dave

Thanks squirt - have been reading away on rat well's page on offset and working out clearance's - think I'll go 195 on front and something like 205 on the rear width wise, and slightly down on front, and near as stock in overall diameter on the rear and see where that takes me!

Was hoping someone had been through various combinations already and would be able to advise best way forward, was thinking same size tyres front to back for ease of changeover, but think that the front is more prone to rubbing hence shorter sidewalls and less width? Would be nice to go slightly bigger diameter on the rear to increase top end cruising (mines about 55 at 4000 rpm) but don't want to go too big and cause issues with bottoming out :(

couple of shots - really l pleased with colour - looks black from some angles then shiny chrome in others 8)

IMAG0004_zps800e7625.jpg

IMAG0006_zpsa014afdd.jpg

Now for tyre questions!

Still un-decided - a few posts indicate that 205 are too wide - so 195 rear perhaps

fronts I'm thinking 175 to go a bit lighter on the steering - just slightly larger on the rear, slightly smaller on the front:
Rear - 195 65 16
Front - 175 - 60 - 16

But struggling to find XL rated tyres in those sizes :( - don't want to have to re-jig the van height and like a slight nose down stance - any more pointers?

o.k. - doing some calculations on ET and tyre widths from http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Standard tyres are 185 width - ET of 39

ET of new rims is 52 - using 20mm adapters on the front gives a new ET of 32

If I used 185 tyres then this is -7mm different between 39/32 so would shift tyres 7mm towards the arch - so a 165 mm tyre (10mm less wide) gives:

The edge of the new tyre will be 17mm further away from the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 3mm further in from the edge of the bodywork.

Which works as I don't want it closer to the arch as there's a slight lip on the inside of the wheel well

The rears..

So I have 25mm adapters (wider to clear the hub nuts)

standard ET 39 - 52 ET on new rims - 25 mm adapters gives ET of 27mm - 39 - 27 gives me 12mm shift in the tyre towards the arch if using 185

a 195 width shows:

The edge of the new tyre will be 7mm further away from the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 17mm further out from the edge of the bodywork.

A rough measure shows about 20mm of clearance on my 185's to the arch so it would be about 3mm from the arch....better to go 185 on the rear and have 8mm clearance?

The edge of the new tyre will be 12mm further away from the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 12mm further out from the edge of the bodywork.

Using tyre calc to get overall diameter shows a 185/70/16 on the rear is closest (about 1% increase in diameter) and 165/75/16 on front is about 1% smaller

Does all that make sense? :shock:

lard said:
o.k. - doing some calculations on ET and tyre widths from http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Standard tyres are 185 width - ET of 39

ET of new rims is 52 - using 20mm adapters on the front gives a new ET of 32

If I used 185 tyres then this is -7mm different between 39/32 so would shift tyres 7mm towards the arch - so a 165 mm tyre (10mm less wide) gives:

The edge of the new tyre will be 17mm further away from the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 3mm further in from the edge of the bodywork.

Which works as I don't want it closer to the arch as there's a slight lip on the inside of the wheel well

The rears..

So I have 25mm adapters (wider to clear the hub nuts)

standard ET 39 - 52 ET on new rims - 25 mm adapters gives ET of 27mm - 39 - 27 gives me 12mm shift in the tyre towards the arch if using 185

a 195 width shows:

The edge of the new tyre will be 7mm further away from the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 17mm further out from the edge of the bodywork.

A rough measure shows about 20mm of clearance on my 185's to the arch so it would be about 3mm from the arch....better to go 185 on the rear and have 8mm clearance?

The edge of the new tyre will be 12mm further away from the inside of the wheel well and suspension components, and 12mm further out from the edge of the bodywork.

Using tyre calc to get overall diameter shows a 185/70/16 on the rear is closest (about 1% increase in diameter) and 165/75/16 on front is about 1% smaller

Does all that make sense? :shock:

Christ knows..... :shock: :roll: :lol: ;)

....but it will look fooking awesome that's for sure!

Alistair

Those wheels look really really nice !
Have you asked Andewilson for tyre advice, being a Porsche wheel lover and seller of those rims ?

Hi - yes, and he's come up with his personal fav:

165 40 16 nankangs on the front and 175 55 16 Bridgestone on the rear great stance proper low on the front

Which no doubt would look 8) - but my van has a short 4th gear in (suspect it's a commercial box) and cruises at around 50/55 - if I go for those then with the diameter reduction then I'll lose around 5mph over the current cruising speed :( - so I need to go close (or better slightly bigger) than stock on the rear and the fronts just slightly shorter - bit not too much as it will look too nose down...

Currently looking at available tyre sizes - it's either 185/75/16 for rear which is slightly larger in diameter (around 2.5cm so a 1.25cm lift at the rear) and 12mm in towards the arches and 175/75/16 on the front which is even closer to stock size and only 7mm closer to the arch - but I can get van tyres in that size

fronts will either have to be the same @ 175/75/16 as I can't find a lower profile (say a 70) in 175 and the only 165 are the 40 profile which would make it far too raked :D

So it's looking like 185/75 on the rear and 175/75 on the front unless anyone has any other suggestions!

I could go 175/75/16 on rear - and 165/40/16 on front looking at options - but that would be around a 1'' rake - is that too much?

Looking at this..
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=175-75r16-165-40r16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say yea too much.
This is mine in comparison, if it helps with the percentage difference ?
For what it's worth, I would go as big as poss on the rear for the top end, it annoys me cruising at 57 for hours on end ! Need a taller 4th gear ! :roll:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=205-55r16-195-45r16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,

Cheers for the info - so are you running 205 on the rears? If so are you on porsche rims + adapters?

My current thinking is:

so a 195 on rear - 175 on front - this is the difference over stock:

Front:

a 10mm drop on the front:

Rear:

a 10mm increase on rear:

url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=185-82r14-195-65r16]
185x82xR14-195x65xR16.png
[/url]

Giving me a 20mm difference between the 2 so a 10mm rake?

null_zpsda154462.jpg

Mine are Conti Vanco Contact2 185/60R15 up front with 195/70R15 bringing up the rear.

The rear is as close to OG rolling radius as I could get with a load rated tyre, the lower front just gets me the stance I wanted.

Good luck

No mate I'm running merc rims ,no spacers needed. The rear tyres are the ones that came with the wheels so I just sized the fronts to give a bit of rake as two needed replacing.

well - after getting the phone hung up on me at my local tyre place that I've used for ages (Abbey Tyres Cambridge :evil: ) as they reckon it was illegal to fit tyres that weren't original fitment - etyres came out today in a van and fitted them, got the adapters in and van has some new boots!

IMAG0012_zpskfjmz6yy.jpg

IMAG0010_zpsjt1eiwik.jpg

lard said:
well - after getting the phone hung up on me at my local tyre place that I've used for ages (Abbey Tyres Cambridge :evil: ) as they reckon it was illegal to fit tyres that weren't original fitment - etyres came out today in a van and fitted them, got the adapters in and van has some new boots!

IMAG0012_zpskfjmz6yy.jpg

IMAG0010_zpsjt1eiwik.jpg
Wow, they look great.......now break out the tyre shine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts