Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok tested the alternator again with a multimeter on diode test and think the rectifing diodes are all ok, so fitted the alternator and fan to the fan shroud. :mrgreen:

Also fitted the dizzy, as with most things on this engine this took longer than it should to be able to fit. It's a 1 year only Marelli item, all other 911's are Bosch. I could have converted to Bosch, but would need to find one for approx £500 then have the shaft machined to fit. They dont make the service parts for the Marelli unit anymore, so the dizzy cap, rotor arm, condensor and points are all no longer availabe new.
So I set off on the internet hunt, after many days - weeks of searching I found 2 used caps in USA for $40 shipped to uk, found 2 new, but repro rotor arms in Devon for £15 each. Found out the points are the same as a Fiat 124, so bought 10 of these off ebay. Also found out the condensor is the same as the Hillman Avenger, so bought 5 of these off ebay. Only after getting these spares had I the confidence to fit and use it!
porscheengine074-1.jpg

Started to rebuild the 2nd carb and found the accelerator injector had been sheared off in the carb body :evil: , luckily again via a long ebay search I found someone in the USA stripping a Zenith carb and selling all the bits seperately, so I bought the 2 missing accelerator injectors I needed.

Now to remove the sheared injector :shock: Cocking this up would have rendered the carb scrap and at £300 each 2nd hand I dont want to do this.
Below the injector is a small pin with a slot, see photo below.
porscheengine079.jpg

If you look at the photo below you can just make out the pin with the slot, now we had to drill out the sheared injector above this, at the same time not enlarging the hole and not drilling the pin below, as the pin is no longer available to buy new!
porscheengine078.jpg

Use a 5mm drill and a bench drill we managed to drill out the sheared injector and just touch the top of the pin, once drilled out enough we prised out with a small screw driver, see drilled out sheared injector below.

porscheengine081.jpg

Then spent more time trying to decide to paint the covers red or cream, what do you think?
porscheengine075.jpg

porscheengine076.jpg

Oh yeah I couldn't resist picking out the raised lettering on the cam covers in red (not that you can see them when its fitted!)

red red red. well try the orange first and see what it looks like, seing as tho the pulleys are orange :mrgreen:

its not far off now dude! we'll get it running this weekend? :D yesh yesh

RED RED RED This is stunning, wish I had my old workshop to tinker about with and do something like this, I've loved reading this so far keep up the great work and pictures 8)

Ok red it is. Many thanks for feedback and encouragement, it's certainly taking longer than I thought.
More parts ordered this week. So more to fit this weekend

Agree with all above 8)

Were 100% behind you with this (though not with the money :lol: ) ;)

just wait till he gets the bill from me :D £40 an hour over how many hours? :lol:

BTW andy i have some ferrari red 2k paint left over from my dad's buggy, or use that can stuff?

gninnam said:
fannehbatter said:
just wait till he gets the bill from me :D £40 an hour over how many hours? :lol:

Ouch ;)
(but worth it :D )
He's joking :mrgreen: (well at least I hope he is) I lend him tools at £50 an hour so he owes me! :lol: :lol:

I have only every paid someone to paint the bus and that was an insurance job and to be honest once it was home I painted it again which was about 100% better :mrgreen: So this is definately a home garage project.

Probably explains why progress is so slow! :roll:

i'm sure i'm missing an engine stand, i lent it to someone for 2 weeks, and a year later i still havent got it back :lol:

looking good with the orange, defo! cant wait to get it up and running, brum brum vrooooom :msn4:

yeah the home paint job was better than the proffesional. sayin that it was £700 or a full paint job, it wasnt bad really.

its gonna be sweet cruising round in this van, proper sleeper with decent power under the rear

Nice. :party0021:

So, what do these sound like - I don't think I have ever heard one running. Is it like the traditional 'chug' of the flat 4 or does it sound slightly more tunned because of the extra two cylinders? :?:

Thanks guys for feedback, its giving me a boost to get it finished, its be dragging on too long :shock:

In the garage again tonight, not much progress as making lists of yet more bits required :roll:

But had to try the carbs on with the newly painted cover, looks awesome just on the engine stand :mrgreen:
101_0098.jpg
101_0091.jpg

101_0094.jpg
101_0093.jpg

Also whilst waiting for paint to dry the other night did a little mod to my 'wall art' Beetle lid, can you see what we did?

101_0090.jpg