Uber Cool - Bay 'Mini Me' trailer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not done anthing on it for a while :oops: been busy with the westy, but nearly got that where I want it to be, so progress back with the trailer in the next few weeks

thats is funkin brilliant!!!

reminds me of a vw garden sculpture...

Volkswagen.jpg

Volkswagen2.jpg

Latest pic, now started on it again since the westy is near to where I want it to be.

tried it on my newly fitted towbar, quick lap round the block towed very nice.

Got some strange open mouth looks from folk :shock:
camper68027.jpg

camper68028.jpg

camper68026.jpg

camper68029-1.jpg

Whilst the camper is in the paint shop found a little time to work on the trailer and get rid of those tall rear lamps!

Also found some time to paint the garage floor.......which was nice :mrgreen:
photo066.jpg

photo067.jpg

Not welded in yet but just for show!

photo068.jpg

Also fitted the windscreen, which fits well and is quite a relief since the roof, side pillars and front panel all came from different sources
sunstrip002.jpg

well after nearly an 18 month break and being pee'd off that the Porsche engine isnt running right thought i'd drag the trailer out of the corner of the barn and see if I can complete this year. :lol:

Only been back on it for 2 days and completed all the box section for the floor and one bench seat. Got one rear corner fully converted form late bay ights to early and started on the other side.

This is cool. I once had the same idea for my Mk1 Golf. Even had the rear-half I needed, but in the end shredded it because it got in the way of other things and I needed the space for other vehicles.

Good to see that you are finishing it though. Curious to see the end result.

ok updates with photos, removed the filler neck and blanked off, leaving the opening flap in place and might use this for a power socket or something :p
trailer12.jpg

trailer11.jpg

trailer10.jpg

trailer9.jpg

trailer8.jpg

trailer6.jpg

trailer5.jpg

trailer4.jpg

trailer2-1.jpg

trailer1-1.jpg

Still having no joy with the motor then :(

Love this trailer and will be ace when done - is it going to be for sleeping in or just for carrying all the stuff that the other half needs to bring when camping :mrgreen:

gninnam said:
Still having no joy with the motor then :(

Love this trailer and will be ace when done - is it going to be for sleeping in or just for carrying all the stuff that the other half needs to bring when camping :mrgreen:
The idea is for both carrying extra crap when camping and sleepng. It will have bench seat and table and also convert to a double bed. Awning to stretch between camper and trailer.

Re engine not a big problem just fancied a change of projects for a while. Still have my polo and volksrod to work on! So just swap round now and again on what I have enthuisam for :)

Looking good!!! anymore progress?

Is the engine lid going to drop down (as in hinged on the lower edge) or is it going to be welded to the hatch so it all lifts out the way upwards in one-piece?

Going to leave the engine hatch hinged on the lower edge so it take up less room to open. Bit more progress but mainly welding. So no great difference to look at

was going to try to just convert the late bay corner to early, but then got carried away, now its having a new corner, lower corner and battery tray.
101_0577.jpg

101_0569.jpg

101_0615.jpg

used a late bay lower corner, hence the cut out where the late bay light bulge was.
101_0579.jpg

101_0583.jpg

bit of frantic angle grinding
101_0601.jpg

I guess its going to need loads of filler to blend all the panels together :(
101_0586.jpg

101_0574.jpg

101_0572.jpg

Rear bumper mocked up in place
101_0568.jpg

Looks like you like to make things harder for yourself :D

Coming on nicely dude :mrgreen:

it was lucky I has all the panels in the garage, or else it would have cost a fortune at today's prices to buy all those repairs panels and OG corner cut outs. Also I would have just got really annoyed when the battery tray and corner started to rot through afrer all this effort.

Next step is to work out how to make the rear hatch work. Thinking along the lines of the hatch on gas struts, but the lower engine lid remaining hinged off the upper hatch to allow just the engine lid to be opened or the whole hatch with engine lid attached.

Latest posts