Urgent help needed please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspira

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just arrived in Ashburton, Devon after driving over from London. It took 6 hrs due to awful traffic and I stupidly thrashed my 72 Bay for the last hour up the long M5 hills. 5 minutes from arrival I lost all power and pulled over. No oil light came on but upon inspection oil was dripping out. Stopped when I turned her off. I can't see where it is coming from. I let her cool down and delicately drove her to where I'm staying. Not much oil came out. She started okay but sounds rough and not much power at the slightest incline. Checked my oil level - it looks okay. In fact a little over filled I think - which could be the source of the problem I guess.

Not sure what to do. Should i drive back to London on Sunday? There might be a local garage.Could it be an oil seal blown because there was too much oil and an easy repair? Anyone got any ideas or thoughts on what I should do.

Many thanks

aspira said:
Hi everyone,

I've just arrived in Ashburton, Devon after driving over from London. It took 6 hrs due to awful traffic and I stupidly thrashed my 72 Bay for the last hour up the long M5 hills. 5 minutes from arrival I lost all power and pulled over. No oil light came on but upon inspection oil was dripping out. Stopped when I turned her off. I can't see where it is coming from. I let her cool down and delicately drove her to where I'm staying. Not much oil came out. She started okay but sounds rough and not much power at the slightest incline. Checked my oil level - it looks okay. In fact a little over filled I think - which could be the source of the problem I guess.

Not sure what to do. Should i drive back to London on Sunday? There might be a local garage.Could it be an oil seal blown because there was too much oil and an easy repair? Anyone got any ideas or thoughts on what I should do.

Many thanks
if its over full with oil thats not good with high rpm, check your breather is not blocked ,where was the oil comeing out of the engine ????

i would clean the oil of the engine first , make sure the oil level is correct ,loss of power ??? check leads points ect ,if you carry spare plugs i would change them ,with the heat we have been haveing they may have broken down ,run the engine up till hot and see if you can see where the oil is comeing from

any rattling noises before you stopped?

have a gander under the engine, look up at the cylinders with the engine running- any gas escaping between cylinders and heads?

No I don't think so. She's still dropping a little oil but, not from the rocker covers, can't see from where without striping out the tin. She's running on 3 cylinders though.

Problem is I'm 4 hours from home and I'm on a cookery course so not much time to do anything. I was hoping I screwed up the points, blue a plug out or something similar but the local garage I found could only recommend pulling the engine to have a proper look and to see if there was any other damage - Fair enough I guess. That wouldn't happen in a few days so I would have to leave it here, train home and then back again to pick her up. I did try to mention a few things to the guys but got that knowing look of stick to cookery mate even though I did say I re-built the entire engine a few years back.

I think I did slightly overfill with oil before leaving London, then 6 hours driving, the last hour thrashed more than I should have. Should have been more careful.

I think I might be better going back with the AA and having the time to look at it myself but really gutted.

aspira said:
No I don't think so. She's still dropping a little oil but, not from the rocker covers, can't see from where without striping out the tin. She's running on 3 cylinders though.

Problem is I'm 4 hours from home and I'm on a cookery course so not much time to do anything. I was hoping I screwed up the points, blue a plug out or something similar but the local garage I found could only recommend pulling the engine to have a proper look and to see if there was any other damage - Fair enough I guess. That wouldn't happen in a few days so I would have to leave it here, train home and then back again to pick her up. I did try to mention a few things to the guys but got that knowing look of stick to cookery mate even though I did say I re-built the entire engine a few years back.

I think I did slightly overfill with oil before leaving London, then 6 hours driving, the last hour thrashed more than I should have. Should have been more careful.

I think I might be better going back with the AA and having the time to look at it myself but really gutted.
If its running on three can you not get some leads and plugs, maybe a forum member is local and has some old ones you can try, if your with the AA can they trailer it home

At least when you get it home you can have a good look for your self ,ime off to Cornwall in the morn but sadly not in the bus

Latest posts