• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

USB Westy For Sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane r

Reaction score
Yes, new project forces the sale of my USB Westy. It's an Early Bay 1971 (tax exempt) Californian import. It had one owner from new before I got it. If you've followed the antics of the USB or VWDRC you will already know the van. It has it's interior out (except the original R&R bed) but I kept it all and it's dry stored in my garage if you want to make it a proper camper again.

365057969_FBU7Z-XL.jpg

Some Extras:

Custom 17.5" woodrim steering wheel, Gene Berg shifter, line lock, Flat Four polished fuchs all round (proper Porsche pattern), proper stainless exhaust (not shown in photo), recovered front seats, custom colour-matched bra from Spirit of the 50's, split charging/leisure batt system, new Blaupunkt stereo w/ remote, new propex heater etc... at least £1700 worth

The Engine:

a 2110cc Type 1 stroker with less than 500 miles. Want the full spec?

82 x 90.5mm = 2110cc Sport / Torque Engine.
CB Forged 82mm crank + 8 dowelled
crank and case hardware kit
std weight 8 dowell steel flywheel
1700lb kep cover JC
5LB steel crankshaft equalisor pulley
5500" scat forged H beam con rods
Engle FK7 camshaft with new gear (288 x 450")
Scat 1.25 ratio rocker arms
Jonson cam followers
360 degree cam bearing set
main & rod bearings ( k/s )
30mm oil pump with cnc machine full flow pump cover
AA forged 90.5 long stroke piston kit with light weight wrist pins & tru arc clips
VAG cylinder air deflectors
Manton pushrods cro-moly cut to length
Scat swivel feet valve adjusters
Autocraft shaft kit
Magnum 44 sport heads 40 x 35.5
springs shimmed to 1.5" = 235lbs at 0.450"
wb inner valve springs
new h-duty aluminium case with full flow oil return,case savers,oil galley's drilled & tapped.
case oil pressure relief valves incl dual front spring conversion
case & pump oil unions
cro-moly cylinder stud kit
copper head seal rings
barrel spacers
rocker arm spacers
rocker pedestal spacers
CB wide mouth windage oil tube set
rear case oil seal
engine gasket set
VAG oil sump plate
balance crank assembly
Massive deep sump
Facet fuel pump
Malpassi fuel regulator/guage
Dellorto 40's
Pertronix billet distributer
compression at 8.5

Total cost of engine about £5000

The van is not concourse, but it's rock solid. MoT'd until the new year sometime (will check the ticket when I get home today) but has gone through the last 3 with ease and I would expect it to do the same again.

I bought the van in 2005 for £7500. This plus the extras and engine makes a total spend on this van £14,200. It has spent most of the nasty weather under cover. Go camping, or straight into the USB, or both!!!

Priced to move at £12,000. Will consider good T25 in part ex deal. Van located near Oxford.

Clem said:
Whats the plan Shane? :?

All very hush hush at the mo Mike. Have a new project but need to pump some dosh in. It's killing me to sell this van but I need to release some capital (and I still have another one of course). When the westy sells I'll start to publisise my next move ;)

Anyone who wants a nice, fast, solid early westy-without any of the hassle of putting one together...get in touch. Willing to negotiate.

Blimey ... I am suprised to see this For Sale ..... a great van to get someone straight into quick times. :)

Clem said:
Blimey ... I am suprised to see this For Sale ..... a great van to get someone straight into quick times. :)

Thanks for that mate. Seeing a ready-to-go racer of any variety is pretty rare. Seeing a solid (never-been-welded) westy that has already qualified in the USB is very rare indeed. :)

I hasten to add that this van drives like a dream and is fantastic for camping. It's interior is the normal westy one for the year but, in place of the sink/watertank there is a brand new cooker (disguised by a carpenter mate to blend in with the rest) and the canvas in the poptop was replaced 2 years ago. Spent plenty of comfortable weekends in it-toasty warm December camping included.

Latest posts