Vacuum operated oil bath air filter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subheatadey

Reaction score
Hi you gurus and tricky if you are out there,
I bought a oil bath air filter the one with the spring loaded wax filled thermostat unfortunately I havent been able to source all that bit, so today at harewood I bought a vacuum operated one as in the picture

Can anyone point me in the direction of information how I connect the two vacuum pipes out of the top I assume they must connect to the carb to create the vacuum?

I think I am begiining to understand it more following this thread http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=675928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But - the vacuum comes of the manifold which i have now changed to a performance manifold that doesn't have the vacuum pipe DOH! So other than getting a fitting for the manifold can I use the vacuum of the extra pipe coming from my 34 pict 3 ?? Alsooo, on the thermostat it has a brass tube and a plastic tumbe anyone know which connects to which on drawings i have seen the plastic tube connects to the carb/manifold where logic I would have thought that connects to the carb/manifold?

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/sparkywig/media/air_filter_connections_zpsfa3c1090.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sparkywig sent this to me, I have also just converted my back to stock.

J & P
:D :D :D

Cheers Guys, I have seen the image with the vacuum coming from the carb that was what I was going to do but I heard rightly or wrongly that taking it from the carb the vacuum it provides is not constant or something and it needs to come from the manifold to provide a constant vacuum. Wonder if anyone knows if this is correct????

It needs to come from a point below the throttle butterfly.

Most standard carbs have a vac connection at the throttle butterfly for a vacuum advance distributor - you can't use this one. Many will have another port lower down, which is fine for this application. :)

Latest posts