Vacuum or non vacuum advanced ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. What's everyone's thoughts on vacuum distributors ? I dont have one on my 1600 and she runs ok with non, well i think she does. I know there is less heat etc with vacuum but i cant help think would she run better with vacuum. Ichanged to electronic ignition too so not sure if that makes a difference. My bus did have vacuum years ago from old photos and she ran like a dream. Just thinking of converting back. What do we think ? Cheers 🤙

009 distributors get a lot of bad press and they’re possibly responsible for global warming and climate change as well as capturing peeps and sending them off to spacecrafts for EXPERIMENTS etc etc. I’ve run the same one for well over twelve years and it’s been fine. If I wanted to get finicky, it does a little ‘ pffft ‘ like a fart if I’m heavy on the right foot from a standstill but that’s only occasionally and if I’m ham fisted with it. I still have points in mine and a condenser. I change them regularly at least once every decade and I pop the old ones in a bag along with my old fan belt and stow it behind the passenger seat just in case I break down as I know these were working and will get me home, I needed my old fan belt just once. I don’t doubt for one second that it’s possible that an svda distributor will improve the smooth running of my motor but would I notice? If everything that is available nowadays was exactly the same as it was in the seventies then I may consider it if mine ever gets to the fubarrred stage. It did seize up on the advance plate once and I had to soak it in diesel overnight in a paint tin and that was about five years ago so check your lube ;) If you do go for vacuuming your distributor <<< see what I did there :unsure: I doubt you’ll notice much if anything but if you spend good money on it , you may just convince yourself that it now runs like a sewing machine.:cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,and yours might not fart :)

Twenty(?) years ago, 009 were a decent swap out as they were a good quality cheap replacement for worn out original distributors. They dont run as smooth an acceleration curve as an og distributor due to the lack of vacuum advance but its not the end of the world.
Then 009's became low quality and, like the repro svda dizzy's, were all regarded as junk. So people dug out old og distributors, serviced them, refitted them and realised actually, they worked well.
If you have a performance engine, or money to spend/burn, there are other options but, if you like the simple life and can find a nice OG SVDA, Id fit that.
I did.

Hy folks. Cheers for the replies @Clem and @ozziedog. Well it looks like I will need a vacuum distributor. I have been doing some research earlier and apparently my engine should only have that. I really wish i had the old distributor but it went years ago. The only other one i have is a petronix flame thrower but it was absolutely awful and didnt work at all. You are both right about the old school though. Parts back then were definately better but in the last id say 10, 15 years the quality is not so good. Just a matter of interest though if you had to buy brand new where would you go and what would you get ? I definately have my go to places.
I took her to work earlier and she is ok but not much better. Sluggish.too slight juddering etc. This is a video I took when I pulled up on the drive. She runs but she's not right and spluttering when moving. The left pipe on the carb is worse when blocked off. What do we think of the way she's running folks ? Can you see something g I can't? And Ozzie I have a thing for vacuuming ha.

Last edited:
Ahh I can't upload the video.it won't let me because the file is too big 😔

Last edited:
@ozziedog do you want to be my life coach ha. I never thought of you tube . Well heres the video taken last night. She sounds relatively normal but when shes put under pressure shes not right.

Hy folks. Cheers for the replies @Clem and @ozziedog. Well it looks like I will need a vacuum distributor. I have been doing some research earlier and apparently my engine should only have that. I really wish i had the old distributor but it went years ago. The only other one i have is a petronix flame thrower but it was absolutely awful and didnt work at all. You are both right about the old school though. Parts back then were definately better but in the last id say 10, 15 years the quality is not so good. Just a matter of interest though if you had to buy brand new where would you go and what would you get ? I definately have my go to places.
I took her to work earlier and she is ok but not much better. Sluggish.too slight juddering etc. This is a video I took when I pulled up on the drive. She runs but she's not right and spluttering when moving. The left pipe on the carb is worse when blocked off. What do we think of the way she's running folks ? Can you see something g I can't? And Ozzie I have a thing for vacuuming ha.
Hi, are you sure your Flamethrower is faulty?, i have one fitted , no problems, but.... i had to move the HT leads around one place , very common with aftermarket dizzy's as they're often 90° different to the one you've removed, just a thought. I had an awful bogging out / flat spot with the 009 that came with the van. Vac advance obviously cured that !.Good Luck🤞

Hey @matty74 shes got a H30/31 PICT.
Then if you’re planning to go Vac advance with that carb I would suggest a Vac only dizzy, shorter body and larger vac can. Something like a Bosch 111 905 205 AA. I ran one of these on the same carb up until recently when I changed to Twin Webers and a 123 Bluetooth dizzy, It ran great with the reduced Vac signal that carb puts out.

The Webers had been sat boxed on my shelf for over a year, it was an itch that I had to scratch and coupled together with some other changes the 1641cc SP now drives amazingly 😃, I need to update gallery thread with all things done 👍

Roll on Friday … we’re off round Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 for 10 days 👍

Hi, are you sure your Flamethrower is faulty?, i have one fitted , no problems, but.... i had to move the HT leads around one place , very common with aftermarket dizzy's as they're often 90° different to the one you've removed, just a thought. I had an awful bogging out / flat spot with the 009 that came with the van. Vac advance obviously cured that !.Good Luck🤞
Hey @redgaz54 yeah i bought it over 15 years ago i think because mine was on its way out at the time and everyone was raving about them. Well i ordered one and it just would not work at all. Tried everything and i even took it to a garage and they said it was a dud. Yeah im definately going to get a vac 🤙.

Then if you’re planning to go Vac advance with that carb I would suggest a Vac only dizzy, shorter body and larger vac can. Something like a Bosch 111 905 205 AA. I ran one of these on the same carb up until recently when I changed to Twin Webers and a 123 Bluetooth dizzy, It ran great with the reduced Vac signal that carb puts out.

The Webers had been sat boxed on my shelf for over a year, it was an itch that I had to scratch and coupled together with some other changes the 1641cc SP now drives amazingly 😃, I need to update gallery thread with all things done 👍

Roll on Friday … we’re off round Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 for 10 days 👍
Hey @matty74 cheers for this. Im going to be ordering one later on. Sounds good to me. Update the gallery dude. Would be good to see. Have a good time. 🤙

Check what Carb you have? SVDA doesn’t work well with Solex H30/31 PICT due to the low Vac signal.
Not my experience. I've been running a Brosol 30/31 (Brazilian replacement for the Solex) with a SVDA distributor with Pertronix ignition for about thirteen years without issues. Our local air-cooled shop says that they've had good luck with that combination.

Hey @redgaz54 yeah i bought it over 15 years ago i think because mine was on its way out at the time and everyone was raving about them. Well i ordered one and it just would not work at all. Tried everything and i even took it to a garage and they said it was a dud. Yeah im definately going to get a vac 🤙.
If i needed a new dizzy, knowing what i know now, I'd definitely go for a 123. Top quality and made in the Netherlands i believe.

Hey folks. Well i have ordered all what i need, the vacuum distributor etc so thats coming soon. Plus other bits and pieces. Oops 😬😆. My god i hate spending money. I really do but when it comes to VWs im always like i will need that, Into the basket . A bit of my budget gone for the month too but ahh my bus needs them. Ive seen brand new turnkey engines too. Waaaaay out of my price range at 6k and obviously cant afford those .Yeah 6k prices have shot up there but they have made me a bit twitchy. My god i have a good engine already. Ahh @ozziedog tell me off please 🙁😆. Boody VWs. I need fresh air ha.🤙😆.

Hey folks. Well i have ordered all what i need, the vacuum distributor etc so thats coming soon. Plus other bits and pieces. Oops 😬😆. My god i hate spending money. I really do but when it comes to VWs im always like i will need that, Into the basket . A bit of my budget gone for the month too but ahh my bus needs them. Ive seen brand new turnkey engines too. Waaaaay out of my price range at 6k and obviously cant afford those .Yeah 6k prices have shot up there but they have made me a bit twitchy. My god i have a good engine already. Ahh @ozziedog tell me off please 🙁😆. Boody VWs. I need fresh air ha.🤙😆.

Don’t get me started on this. I’ve got my 1641 in the van, I’ve got a 2L type 4 under the bench that I bought four or five years ago and I accidentally bought a turnkey 1776 a year or two back that lives under some racking. I’ll probably never get found to fitting the type 4 but I might just one day fit the other one.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,what am I bid for the type 4 :unsure: :cool::unsure:

Don’t get me started on this. I’ve got my 1641 in the van, I’ve got a 2L type 4 under the bench that I bought four or five years ago and I accidentally bought a turnkey 1776 a year or two back that lives under some racking. I’ll probably never get found to fitting the type 4 but I might just one day fit the other one.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,what am I bid for the type 4 :unsure: :cool::unsure:
Well @ozziedog i think its a good thing. 3 engines are better than having 1 and its always peace of mind just incase anything goes wrong. I might be saving for a lovely new turn key engine to put away but at that price its going to make me very numb paying that much ha. We shall see. Thing is though my bus is never ever going to be sold regardless of anything so its an investment for her future or will be. 🤙

Latest posts