Valve issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob8624

Reaction score
Bus running very rough so checked valve gap and saw that an adjustment screw had come out and a push rod had slipped off. I can't seem to pop it back in. Any advice how to do it. Hopefully its not damaged too much.

Hey bud, I’m guessing the best way is to drop the valve train gear off and rebuild from there. A gentle tap on the valve just to check it ain’t stuck. Could be the lock nut come loose but I’d be wanting to have a serious look at it before I just plonked it back in and adjusted the valves. I’d have a very good stare at the threads on both also. How long since they were adjusted last ? I’d also check the other side too while you’re down there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,we call it fun too :mrgreen:

Thanks Ozziedog, i managed to get it back in by loosing the rocker, screw went in ok and set all gaps on the valves. Van still running rough though, timing/point OK, not checked plugs yet.

Will do.

Just to clarify, it happened after I set valve gaps, I must have forgot to tighten it (arggg!). I took it for a very short drive and then rechecked as it felt rough, that's when I noticed a bolt in the cover and the loose pushrod.

Re done timing and points but van feels like it's running on three cylinders (bogging down and not pulling uphill), pulled plug from cylinder one there was a tiny bit of oil on it and sooty (although van is running rich) and the ht lead is very loose.

I'll change plugs and leads and get compression tested.

Pull plug lead from each cylinder at a time to find which one is not firing,engine note wont change when you find the one,set tappets by cylinder,when exhaust fully down set inlet,when inlet fully down set exhaust.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

Checked valves gaps again this morning and got them spot on, changed leads and plugs, re done timing and set carb up. Van runs ok but lacks power in third, but she runs much better and sounds good. Just hope adjusting carb will help with power.

I did notice a little oil on top of plugs on cylinders one and two. Just wondering could i have bent a push rod? Could this be the lack of power in third also?

Ok cool.

I think lack of pull in third is another issue, carb related i hope, as she sounds a feels really good for the most part.

Yea, got the van running well after changing leads and plugs, seems all ok. Thanks for all the help much appreciated.

Latest posts