Van Roller/Tipper/Spit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustard72

Reaction score
evening all, i need to do some work under my van, and dot not fancy grinding/welding on my back. can anyone offer some advice or info as to what is the best roller or spit to get the van on its side. also where to buy them!! thinking of taking beam off as well so would a spit be best??? if anyone has any pics of there van showing were the roller or spit goes please put them up!!

cheerrs

jason

spit is best ,have a look at my resto thread and you will see it ,i did have a video of it ??? will have a look for it ,bought mine of the guy on flea bay .sold it not long ago as i finished it ,you can pick them up used sometimes.

cheers dub boy. looked at your thread, where does it connect to at the front?? nice work by the way!!

mustard72 said:
cheers dub boy. looked at your thread, where does it connect to at the front?? nice work by the way!!
front just bolts onto bumper mounts ,the rear bolts onto rear valance fixings ,there good bit of kit as you can buy the different ends to fit the same jig, i wouldnt have sold mine but really needed funds for bus, full nut and bolt cost alot more than i thought :lol:

mustard72 said:
thanks dub boy. do you know where you can buy the spits new???
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rollover-Jig-Spit-VW-CAMPER-VAN-SPLIT-BAY-T2-T25-TRANSIT-/151245982985?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2336f68d09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there you go mate ,theres different options, kit form ect ,i drove up and collected mine for cash ,got a good deal ,hes a great guy to talk to hes rite into his classic fords

thanks for the link dub boy. are they easy to set up and get the van turned onto its side??? also has anyone used other types of roller to get van on side?? the spit does look good though.

mustard72 said:
thanks for the link dub boy. are they easy to set up and get the van turned onto its side??? also has anyone used other types of roller to get van on side?? the spit does look good though.
i will say i shat myself the first time :lol: any little bit of grit that moved in the van made me jump but once you get it balanced i turned it on my own with no problem the one thing i didnt like was the locking bolt at the end to hold the jig in place so i cut some wooden blocks with foam on them and slid them under the gutter ,there not alot of weight as most of it is on the jig .the first time you roll it get a few mates round and play till you get it balanced ,when windows are out and doors are of i had to adjust the jig a little due to the weight balance but i found it ok.

Basic roller is your other option if you want to keep all the glass etc in the van, I don't like the rotisserie jigs as they mount off your bumpers and if your chassis is rotten in the first place this isn't ideal. Plus ideally you need the van to be a bare shell.

Cjautos have some good options,

http://www.cjautos.org.uk

It's recommended but with these you don't even have to take the engine out.

I built my own based on theirs basically and have adapted it down the years for different vans and can now do early's lates & splits with or without front axle in.

Early wide 5,

null_zps6762d3a3.jpg

Early narrow 5,

DSCN3864.jpg

And late with front beam in place,

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1385.jpg

All done with some left over scrap steel,

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg

89Rallye said:
Basic roller is your other option if you want to keep all the glass etc in the van, I don't like the rotisserie jigs as they mount off your bumpers and if your chassis is rotten in the first place this isn't ideal. Plus ideally you need the van to be a bare shell.

Cjautos have some good options,

http://www.cjautos.org.uk

It's recommended but with these you don't even have to take the engine out.

I built my own based on theirs basically and have adapted it down the years for different vans and can now do early's lates & splits with or without front axle in.

Early wide 5,

null_zps6762d3a3.jpg

Early narrow 5,

DSCN3864.jpg

And late with front beam in place,

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1385.jpg

All done with some left over scrap steel,

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0918.jpg
how did you bend your steel 8)

Standard cheapo hydraulic pipe bender a bit of ingenuity and a lot of guesswork if I'm honest :oops: :lol:

I did two test pieces to see if I could match the bends perfectly and did, the steel was left over from building my garage (hence the mess as I'd only just "moved in" :lol: ) and was destined to be made into a set of gates for my sister but I think this was a much better idea 8)

cheers 89rallye. to be honest i want to keep the windows in, and the rest of the van is bare!! maybe a roller might be the thing. anyone know how much the basic rollers cost??? and who sells them?? tried the link but wont let me access tilter section??

As Mark has already said try these guys http://www.cjautos.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,

Had one one their units a few years ago and it was really good,

cheers guys for the replies. dub boy or anyone else who has used the spit, when the van is on its side will there be a few inches spare from the ground up as i want to keep my windows in??? had a look at the roller, and both the spit and the roller look to be good!!

mustard72 said:
cheers guys for the replies. dub boy or anyone else who has used the spit, when the van is on its side will there be a few inches spare from the ground up as i want to keep my windows in??? had a look at the roller, and both the spit and the roller look to be good!!
Yes ,I left my windows and doors on as long as I could as all my works been done on the drive, if you go on his website there is a video of a split being turned 360 ,you can set it up however you want it :D

thanks again dub boy!! i am sort of leaning towards the spit, and also it is a bit cheaper and i am on a budget. do many secand hand ones come up for sale???? although the price new does not seem bad.

I have a cj autos autovip 1700

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20949" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where you based, how long do you need it for ?

Latest posts