van wont idle.....?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strutt

Reaction score
Hi,

Been having problems with my engine, (1600 tp) with 34 pict3
Its been giving me trouble by not wanting to idle.....?
Revs up ok, slight hesitation (could be down to 009 dissy), but revs and sounds ok tbh.
I took it to a garage who played and cleaned it but told me the carb was tempremental...hmm, and could be worn out
it ran fine all last year and earlier this year though.

So i have been out doing all the usuall bits and pieces,

Valve clearances
New coil
changed points to pertronics unit
timing, is ok ish...cant really tell as she wont tick over
I screwed the adjustment screws all the way in then back out 3 turns and played with adjustment for a while.

The only other odd thing i noticed, when i removed the rocker covers i could smell fuel.....but when i changed the oil i didnt notice any in this, but may have got a slight whiff...not too sure.

My problems seem to be pointing to the carb, help needed though!!!!

Cheers :(

Assuming you basic engine settings are correct then the most likely culprit is the idle jet which is screwed in the right hand side of the carb. Its a very small jet size and is often the one that blocks if theres any dirt in the system. Its easy to remove and check.

The engine was running sweet as a nut.......no issues at all when warmed up anyway.
I fiddled with the timing (static), so this will need tweaking, but generally speaking all was well.

Latest posts