VDO kienzle clock hand removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxy

Reaction score
Got an "early" deluxe clock that I am looking to modify.
10a96832.jpg

Was sold it sight unseen(I did ask for pics but got told they all look the same!!) from a supposed VW expert!! At least it was cheap & works!
It appears to be a crossover clock.... Dated 08/72 it's got the mechanical movement but no silver inner ring to match the other early dash clocks, so will hopefull match the rest of my confused crossover.
So my plan was to take the silver inner ring from the fuel gauge cluster & retrofit it....
However the hands don't seem to want to come off, has anyone managed to remove & refit them successfully?

Just ordered one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWS-Mini-Micro-Pinion-Gear-Puller-For-1-0-1-5-2-0mm-Motor-Shaft?item=330705926722&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8066801801727949918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will hopefully do the job...

God, I think I know this one... bearing in mind that I never managed to get the hands off my one as the brass and plastic holding them in place wouldn't separate.

Also note that yours is different to mine as mine is off a Type 3 methinks.

So you've already got the back plastic cover off. From here on BE CAREFUL. If you take the clock mechanism apart they are a royal pain to get back together (ask me how I know!).

Bugger. Just gone to look at mine for reference to confirm something and as far as I can tell, to get to the bits that retain the hands, you have to take the f**ker right apart. Yours might be different (I hope so!) as I note that you have two screws on the face that I do not. Hopefully this is what is retaining the mechanism, not the 3 threaded columns on the back like mine.

I don't have time at the moment to have a proper thorough look at the fiddly object in front of me right now, but if you are desperate to not take yours apart drop me a PM and hopefully tomorrow night I can have another go.

P.S. pictures from the back of your clock would be useful.

P.P.S. if you brave taking yours apart be prepared to swear like a sailor for 4-6 hours as you try and put the tiny, fragile and fiddly parts back together correctly :p

I had to take mine apart as the sprung coil had broken so I trimmed it and soldered it back on. I reckon this has probably thrown the balance of the clock out now so it might not keep time, but luckily there is a way of adjusting the throw of the spring slightly by turning the brass, notched column on the back of the clock. We shall see. I also have to sort the motor but I got so fed up that I gave up on fixing it (this was about a month ago :p )

Good luck!!

gvee said:
Also note that yours is different to mine as mine is off a Type 3 methinks.

P.S. pictures from the back of your clock would be useful.

thanks gvee, I've learnt from theSamba that type 3 clocks are different as the hands don't come off in the same way (if at all?), also that someone used the gear puller i've just bought to get them off an EB clock, so fingers crossed it will work!!
Will try to remember to take pics while I dismantle/destroy it!!

Latest posts