velvet green panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dames

Reaction score
this is my 1970 van. i havnt done much to her yet just got a new mot needed plenty of welding. it had a rough devon interior when i got it but i have removed this and brought a rear bench seat i also brought a rear bumper and some brackets none yet fitted.
DSCF1300.jpg

i have started to remove some of the paint and plan to reveal as much og paint as poss.
DSCF1565.jpg

DSCF1566.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

hey bud i nearly bought that panel about 9 years ago at bug jam, but the guy had to pull out of the deal !!! i was sooooooo gutted, i ended up with a 71 devon moonraker and painted it velvet green as id fallen in love with the panel. One lucky man, still love it .
look forward to the ongoing updates.

nz71delux said:
hey bud i nearly bought that panel about 9 years ago at bug jam, but the guy had to pull out of the deal !!! i was sooooooo gutted, i ended up with a 71 devon moonraker and painted it velvet green as id fallen in love with the panel. One lucky man, still love it .
look forward to the ongoing updates.
it is a great colour! the green on it is a respray but as i said im slowly revealing the velvet green. the paint below the dash is perfect have you got any pics of it from bug jam?

Never seen a completly velvet green only, only White upper or white roof onlt but it looks really cool!!!
What colour interior does she have?
Nice van - take care of her (dont need saying does it...) :oops:

Ben

sambadeluxe said:
Never seen a completly velvet green only, only White upper or white roof onlt but it looks really cool!!!
What colour interior does she have?
Nice van - take care of her (dont need saying does it...) :oops:

Ben
the interior is light beige, i plan to take good care of her and just be honest with myself i earn a low wage so i wont be getting any flash rims dropped spindles etc going to make the most of what its got. the cut n turned beam is far from ideal so i will prob be going stock hight in time :shock:
my money will be spent on getting it all back together i need a cab floor rubber mat it has a carpet one but i prefer stock. also need dash pod mine has a hole in it. oil bath air filter,front seats and a few other bits.

This is gonna be a sick panel when done for sure 8)

Hi mate, have got one picture but not digital, could post it to you though if your interested. the bus looks sweet as she is , think the stock rims kinda add to the look of the commercial look, think alloys may spoil it. The guy i was going to buy it from only wanted 1200 quid for it, and i paid 100 in a deposit, but he had a big drama with the mot and couldnt afford to sell it without one, so pulled out. Got a mate over here in nz that has a lhd one in velvet gren, needs a restore but nothing major, so should be on the road soonish. ill get him to post the pix when he gets back from the uk.
dude i still love that van :) gutted !!!!

How do you remove the paint that has been sprayed on the OG paint ?

I also have a cheap respray to remove on my Velvet green westy :mrgreen:

thanks for info gadget i got the van from a guy in newquay called wayne he only had it a year or so i believe. he must have brought it after you turned it down. love your van.

easy i hope it does come out good my first resto so it will be a slow and steady.

sambadeluxe i would love to see a copy of the photo :D i will pm my address thanks for the kind offer! im with you on the wheels and plan to keep a commercial feel to it. i have a combi rear bench seat and my retired dads old facom toolbox that will become a buddy seat/removable kitchen unit it has perfect patina!

That is gorgeous!!!!

That makes 3 early bay panels in Velvet Green I have seen now!!!

One at VanFest, one down Andover way, and this one!

Our '69 Danbury was originally Velvet Green and will be going back to that when I can find a panel to replace the one where the fuel filler sits!!!!!

paddy56 said:
How do you remove the paint that has been sprayed on the OG paint ?

I also have a cheap respray to remove on my Velvet green westy :mrgreen:
i use a stanley blade to skim off the paint, it has a really good respray on top of the og then a layer of primer then the green seen in the pics. i have only been working on the top half so far but at the weekend i did a test patch under the beltline and found a very tough layer hope its not all round :!: think i will be useing paint stripper on this as the blade had no chance.if you do a search on the samba there is a big thread on the subject with some great pics of the results useing different methods.

bumper and seat,any ideas for a easy seat fit as its a panel there are no fixing on the floor for it.i cant stretch to any ddfrost hinges :( .
DSCF1568.jpg

DSCF1571.jpg

Lovely! I have an early commercial brochure (c1968/69) which features a panel van in that colour scheme. My dad passed it to me when I was little (he got it from the local VW showroom!). :D

I nearly brought this van too. It was for sale on here and i saw it at Dubfreeze about 2 years ago. It was the first van i looked at but the price tag (was £5500) and the rot on the doors put me off. I still love the colour.

rob-stone said:
I nearly brought this van too. It was for sale on here and i saw it at Dubfreeze about 2 years ago. It was the first van i looked at but the price tag (was £5500) and the rot on the doors put me off. I still love the colour.
its still got the rot on the doors :roll: slider is good though

Latest posts