Warbys 1969 VW early bay!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza1975

Reaction score
Well at long last we own our first VW Camper and yes its an Early Bay!!

We picked her up on the 18th February 2012 and then it rained all the way home!!! With me driving up the road the wife looks out the window at home and the look on here face!! priceless!!! then the next remark was not as bad as she thought which was a result!!!
Then she said whats all the white stuff on the hire trailer and yes thats right, the paint was running off!! Before it left the states at some time it had beed sprayed with what i can only be described as emulsion!!!

So first job was to clean the hire trailer from paint and..... OIL!!!

We have the interior out, cab stripped apart from dash, engine out, and then the cutting begins.

Engine was stripped and cleaned then we found a nice crack in the casing so the search began for a doner casing!!!

Fitted so far....

battery tray
both lower rear corners
both rear cill arch repair panels
both outer sills below side door and other side

To do....

2 small holes in cargo area to sort out
both front step/arches
front windsreen, side window panels repairs or replace once windscreens out
lower valance front and what ever else we fine behind
both the front floors need small patches
and god knows what else!!!

Engine casing bought on fleebay, stripped, cleaned as best we can and re built!!!! used old heads (cleaned) and pistons as they are better than in the doner engine!!
Tin ware cleaned and sprayed satin black for now, trying not to spend to much incase the un thinkable happens and i need a new engine :cry:

Brakes stripped and cleaned, sprayed black and re fitted, blead and hey presto we have contact!!!! not sure if it will stop as needs engine fitting!

Bought loads of bits like new window winders, nice fly wheel with timing marks!, new cab door locks, rear heated window as was smashed, engine lid hinges, new ali air pipes, and loads of other little bits!!! How small things can really cheer you up !!

We put the new cab door handles on and the grin on my face was a picture!!! the wife comes out and says why you so happy, and I go look..... she goes at what...... the handles.........and?????

I will try and post pics once i work out how to!! inc all the before and afters!!!

hello Dazza nice van, where in America was it from?

Your bus is ALL Riviera including interior, there's a few of us on here who has varients of their conversion check out the gallery.

I like them one because I'm bias and two they seem to be a rarer conversion.

AIR_CHILLED said:

Your bus is ALL Riviera including interior, there's a few of us on here who has varients of their conversion check out the gallery.

Hi, the buswas from Texas, hence all the orange dirt all over it!!

What makes it an ALL Riviera inc interior?? would be nice to know exactly what i've got!!

Can't wait to get her on the road and meet up at some shows with you guys!!

some more pics of rear corners, rear arch lower repairs, middle side outer sills and battery tray as non existant!! tried to safe as much as poss but ending up with lower rear corners in full being used :( all in primer!! :D

dazza1975 said:
AIR_CHILLED said:

Hi, the buswas from Texas, hence all the orange dirt all over it!!

What makes it an ALL Riviera inc interior?? would be nice to know exactly what i've got!!

Can't wait to get her on the road and meet up at some shows with you guys!!

Sorry if that didn't make sense I think your van is a Riviera and not a Westfalia

Very nice repairs by the way.

Bit more of an update, engine bay jet washed out and tank removed. Looks to clean in tank area for a 40 yr old van but the screws were a right git to get out!!

Pic of before

after a good jet wash---- before the hose pipe ban!!

Then had a go with the spray gun and gave it a couple of coats of perlweis white!!

Not updated for a while so thought I'd better get my arse in gear and sort it out!!

Thought I'd get the front end sorted so new outer and inner valance etc, and put in zinc primer!

lower front valance before

Inner valance before

Removed and cleaned up

Hole found in post

Hole repaired

Inner valance fitted

Outer valance fitted and seam welded!

And one of the bus doing a wheelie!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not done much due to the terrible weather and by gazebo blowing away!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Front steps both been replaced - what a bitch of a job :x

Before pics!!

After Pics!!

Well pleased with the results!! Only needs a skim of filler and job done!! 8) 8)

Stripped down front bumper and bashed out the dints!! Stripped down to bare metal, ground and treated rust then Filled and primed! :)

Side bits were a bit worse, had to cut out rust and weld in new metal. Slow job but think it will be worth it!

benveedub said:
Great work there!! really need to get off my butt to sort out my front valance!! haha

keep the posts coming! :D

Cheers mate!! Front valance and inner took a bloody good day and a bit to do on the drive. just don't cut to much out as these repo panels never seem to be long enough! :lol: Especially the inner skins :oops:

Side door stripped, filled and primed, filler primed, and painted!! Along with engine lid and rear hatch plus glass and new seal in hatch!

Latest posts