Warbys 1969 VW early bay!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engine Build Begin's!

I now have an AS41 dual relief case. Stripped it down and cleaned it up and all seems good. Bearing seats are stamped VW so looks like an unmolested case :mrgreen:

Also have a machined balanced cranked to .50 ! Have og cam and con rods!

Stripped all parts down and degreased all parts plus steam cleaned the engine case to get all the old crap out!

Once all parts cleaned, started by checking the con rods which one was well out so out come the wife's cooking scales and balanced them all as close as possible. re cleaned these to get rid of the filings.

Nice box of bearings, push rod tubes, oil filter, bosh super plugs, new gasket kit including oil seal

Next was to fit the case on the new stand! Wish id have gone for the black one as the clarke stand is a pain to hold the engine.

Fitted all new bearings on the crank shaft and fitted the gears etc back on ready to put in the engine.

Oiled all bearings up, engine build paste in the lifters and cam shaft and placed all in the engine.

Used aircraft grade engine gasket black goo (brilliant stuff but bloody messy) which i picked up from slough from state side.

Fitted all parts and put case halves together. Re lapped valves in single port heads, fitted heads, new pushrod tubes, og rods, oil pump and fitted the air deflector plates once i took the heads of as forgot to do one side :evil:

Got a set of Mahle 1641 barrels and pistons 2nd hand of here. Excellent condition and like new!! :D

Checked all bolts, double checked and then set end float! Takes a few tries but got there in the end 8)

Engine built and ready for the fitting!!

And my little helper stripping the engine with me!!

Due to considerable poor weather still not got the engine totally set up :cry: Wish this bloody rain would do one :evil:

Went in the shed for a couple of hours instead and started the rear bumper refurb.

Already stripped it down and rust treated it when i did the front but that was as far as it went.

3 no holes were found after cleaning it up so cut them out and welded in new metal :D

Engine was fitted before Christmas but not finished due to that stuff called Rain :(

Better weather today so got a couple of hours in before the wife started moaning :msn4:

Engine now all wired up, oil topped up to correct level, new throttle cable and pedal spring fitted, battery charged, heat exchangers connected, everything checked - checked again and re connected the battery!

Got the wife in the bus to turn the key with me in the engine bay and .........................it wont start :cry:

A bit of tinkering and ....................she fires to life :mrgreen:

Quick timing with the gin and she purs like a cat. A big noisy cat 8)

Pic of the engine in its new home

Back on the bus today and took the bus out for a trip round the block once she was nice and warm!!

Runs so much better than my old one :D

First video upload so hopefully it will work!

Cheers Woz

With good weather this weekend did a bit more on the van 8)

filled and primed the rear bumper during the week (evenings) and painted the new bumper irons.

Got the bumper on at last!!!

gave her a nice wash and wax whilst the sun was out today!

:D :D :D :D :D

Cheers myvanway

Took the bus out today with the new engine and what a difference :shock: Still gotta sort out my steering issues which i think is down to my camber and tracking!!

The biggest let down on the exterior now is the wheels so took the rear 2 of and started the prep! such a good day got a top coat on them!

before

after

Once dry will clean up tyres, put back on and then do the next 2 and the spare!

Been watching this since the start, you've done an awesome job Dazza hats off to you 8)
Looking really good now, bet you're well chuffed ?!
Are you gonna run a hot air feed from lower rear tinware to that 1200 air filter ? Did it on my bug and helps stop manifold icing and running no end even if it looks a bit of a silver hose fest, :lol: or are you going for on o.g air filter back on the stand ?
Great job , must be tough on the driveway.

squirt72 said:
Been watching this since the start, you've done an awesome job Dazza hats off to you 8)
Looking really good now, bet you're well chuffed ?!
Are you gonna run a hot air feed from lower rear tinware to that 1200 air filter ? Did it on my bug and helps stop manifold icing and running no end even if it looks a bit of a silver hose fest, :lol: or are you going for on o.g air filter back on the stand ?
Great job , must be tough on the driveway.

Cheers bud!

I'm looking for an og filter but can't seem to find a good og one :( plus the rear Tin ware with 3 holes in but these are even harder to find.

Never had any issues with carb icing up but will be keeping an eye out on that now!

cut the new paint and polished up on the wheels.

Rear wheels

And on the Bus

front 2 off, rubbed down and in paint!! Another productive day!

gninnam said:
Wheels do look very nice 8) - wot paint you use

I bought 5ltrs of black satin chassis paint when I got my bus to do the underside. Had some left so used with high gloss thinners!
Great stuff to use as it is self priming and has excellent rust proof property's!

Also used it on the rear of my bumpers and painted the bumper irons in it!

Bay-low71 said:
dazza1975 said:

front 2 off, rubbed down and in paint!! Another productive day!

Bus paint looks nice and clean 2, wheels make a huge difference on any vehicle... Good work they look superb!!!

Cheers bud! The wheels were really letting it down. Once i get the front on i will post pics up of van with all 4 on!

Satin black chassis paint - good one (remind me - which was it again....)

Front ones done, cut and polished :D

And on the van.

So Front

Back

Rear Side View

Front Side view :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Only just realised i havn't put pics on of the two stickers that were on the bus when i got it and managed to save!!

One on Windscreen, looks like at some point the bus belonged to a police man in Texas!

Also have this sticker on the rear window, its and aircraft association sticker of some type!

And at last got myself and early bay sticker! :D

And couldn't resist a screen name one!

Latest posts