WARNING - do not use GSF CV boots!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ1

Reaction score
So I fit new CV boots to my 71 deluxe. Bought three from GSF in Nov last year, fitted in January. Took about 4 hrs. It's a greasy horrible job but it was done and dusted - so I thought. Bus is ready for its first UK MoT, so I do the usual checks before I take it down. It was with disbelief that I found this

All 3 GSF CV boots (the other came from Heritage and is fine) have completely self-destroyed in less than six months on a bus that hasn't moved more than ten yards since I fitted the engine! How the bloody hell can they seriously supply boots that apparently dissolve in CV grease? I am totally p1ssed off with rubbish parts being supplied. I paid good money for these and have wasted at least 4 hrs work under the bus. So thanks GSF - I really hate you now and won't be buying anything else from you even if you gave me a weekend discount of 99%. I don't usually name and shame suppliers but there are limits :evil:

I feel better now I've tried to save others from making this mistake.

All rubber from there is crap

At least jk and vwh let you know where they come from

Most gsf stuff is pants there parts are more of a tempory fix than a permanent repair . As you have to do them again I would take them back demand a refund followed by a round of f##$$## for the wasted time .

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

In my experience, GSF sell the same stuff as everyone else, but slightly cheaper and less than 20 mins drive from my house with parts on the shelf - ideal if you need something in a hurry.

They even offer different quality parts where more than one option exists, just like the other major suppliers.

The CV joints I bought for my bus 2 years ago are still fine.

In my experience, GSF bits are no worse (or better) than anyone else's...

Tofufi said:
In my experience, GSF sell the same stuff as everyone else, but slightly cheaper and less than 20 mins drive from my house with parts on the shelf - ideal if you need something in a hurry.

They even offer different quality parts where more than one option exists, just like the other major suppliers.

Really? How do you explain why these boots fell apart in 6 months without the van moving? The joints may be fine but that's no good if the boots dissolve in normal CV grease :evil: Until recently GSF were also selling the dangerous fuel pipes that split in contact with ethanol- based fuel. There are still stocks of these on the shelf at a local branch.
http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=116327
Like you I have bought stuff from GSF for many years - even back in the days when they were Autocavan. Unfortunately IMO they have now gone for the cheapest low quality end of the market.

BJ1 said:
Tofufi said:

Really? How do you explain why these boots fell apart in 6 months without the van moving? The joints may be fine but that's no good if the boots dissolve in normal CV grease :evil:

There's no need to be aggressive with me - I was just reporting that the joints I bought (including boots) were fine so far. Have you tried contacting GSF to see their response?

Did you buy the cheaper option or the higher price option?

If you bought the more expensive one, did you use the CV grease included in the kit?

I have no connection to GSF other than as a reasonably happy customer (I have not found them to be worse than Heritage, etc), by the way...

Sorry but I'm not being agressive at all - just really annoyed with GSF not you. There was no better quality option available when I bought these from my local branch. I contacted them today. They don't offer a better quality boot and they did offer to refund my money. That's OK - but what about the 4hrs I spent on the job? I stand by what I say about quality going downhill.

I bought some from GSF last year too, and the boots were exavtly the same. They always split on the inner section of the ribs, and most of the time you can see the cracks beginning to form even as you fit them. Absolutely terrible quality.

My main gripe with GSF is that they've put the prices up for absolutely everything to make their 40% offer seem more attractive than it really is- to the point where the 40% discount brings the price in line with their competitors. That's dishonest.

BJ1 said:
They don't offer a better quality boot

Sorry, but they certainly do offer two quality options...

cvboot.jpg~original

Edit: Not sure if the image above is working - but there are two options - one is about £6, the other £12...

:)

The branch told me that there was only one boot available. The other is a kit that they said had the same boot but with grease and screws. Even if it is better quality why do they supply one at over 6 quid that falls apart within 6 months? Heritage do Topran boots for a similar price - they appear to be good quality so why spend your money at GSF? You obviously love them but nothing will tempt me back after 40 years of using them.

It's not aboutr the money - it's about having to do a 4 hr mucky job twice.

To be fair theres lots of after market stuff that is terrible build quality i bought some felt window runners from Schofields I wound the window up twice and they were fubarred 'why do they sell them? I bought some from VWH and they are totally different. It's good that you highlight crappy after market parts so we can all make informed choices.

BJ1 said:
The branch told me that there was only one boot available. The other is a kit that they said had the same boot but with grease and screws. Even if it is better quality why do they supply one at over 6 quid that falls apart within 6 months? Heritage do Topran boots for a similar price - they appear to be good quality so why spend your money at GSF? You obviously love them but nothing will tempt me back after 40 years of using them.

It's not aboutr the money - it's about having to do a 4 hr mucky job twice.

Pretty sure the GSF ones were on mine that split as well weren't they?

Again, had to spend hours re-doing the work a year and a bit later (nothing like how long these things should last), fitted Topran from VWH now.

Latest posts