Water pooling around leisure battery

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dford

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1970 Earlybay (we bought it a year ago) to which I have fitted a leisure battery on the other side of the engine bay from the main battery. All has been well until the very heavy rain over the past three weeks, when I have discovered that a large pool of water has accumulated around the battery. I assume this is coming down from the air vents, but was wondering what to do about it - should there be a drain hole in that panel (if so, where, I wonder whether I've covered it with the battery)? if not, how should I avoid it filling with water!

Thanks

David

I'm pretty sure battery trays do have holes in the middle of a sunken part of the tray for this reason. But, if the tray has been replaced, i think you can only readily buy the RH tray, which they use as a universal tray on the LH side, flipping it over, only the slightly sunken area is not sunken anymore. This is what happens in mine anyway, although it is garaged most of the time so not too much of a problem. I'd take the battery out see where the lowest point is, drill in a largish hole, protect etc and waxoyl the tray/surround.

or wait a few winters and you will have natural holes there, job done. :roll: :lol:
seriously tho, ive always wondered about this myself :|

potts

There is a drain off hole , and a rubber drain plug thingy me jibby ;) if the rubber thingy is there it might be blocked so stick something in it to clear it out :)

Chris

I had the same problem. I've just drilled a hole and treated/waxoyled it. Job done!
I was thinking of pampers though. Thought it would be a good idea to put a nappy under the battery to absorb the water. Radical i know!

onlybayinthevillage said:
I had the same problem. I've just drilled a hole and treated/waxoyled it. Job done!
I was thinking of pampers though. Thought it would be a good idea to put a nappy under the battery to absorb the water. Radical i know!

wouldn't huggies be a tighter fit?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks all, after some hunting I found the drain hole, completely full of sand - oh the fun of a bus from the desert :)

Now cleared out and draining nicely :)

Latest posts