Westfalia Fridge help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlepecha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
M-codes
095 508 697 A01
Hi,

I bought a Westfalia Fridge and sink unit a couple of months back. Its an original fridge but I couldn't find anything on the internet that said it wouldn't work if all the heating elements were fine. The PO didn't know if it worked.

Its this one

Now, I've tried nearly every trick I can find on the internet to get it to work such as:
*turn it upside down for a few days, *turn it on its side,shake it, wait 20 seconds. Turn it upside down, shake it, wait 20 seconds. Etc.
*tap all the pipework
*leave it on for 12+ hours.

Done it all, not getting anywhere.
Fridge is level at the bottom of the compartment(I presumed this is the datum point of the fridge).

The area where the heating elements are gets warm on 240v and 12v, not used gas and don't intend to. And it is cool the other side of the fins at the back of the fridge. The absorption section appears to get warm too, but inside the fridge doesn't get cold.

Anyone else got any ideas? Or on the other hand how many of you find a fridge useful in your camper? Would it be worth replacing or just use it as a cool box with icepacks?

Thanks

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

In my experiences, it is very costly to replace these 500 pounds and up for a new fridge. The best option in my opinion is to remove the fridge for more cabinet space and use a coolbox with 12v and 240 plugs. These usually range from 60-160 pounds depending on brand etc.

Just my 2 cents

Despite being designed by Einstein (Yes really) Absorption fridges are very simple and are a closed loop system no pumps etc.

200px-Einstein_Refrigerator.png

While I understand your reluctance to use gas in a van, to test it out it might be the most simple way. Electric heating elements can break down. If you have a small flame in the right place and it still does not get cold (couple of hours) then you might have lost the refrigerant, water, ammonia or butane. If you shake it do you hear liquid moving in the reservoir?

You might also have a blockage caused by a dented pipe, remember its a loop system. Using diagram below are the hot pipes getting hot, cold ones getting cold?

200px-EinstienRefrigeratorpat1781541-clarified.jpg

I too had problems with a similar fridge which is the only reason I know this.. Not something I expect to learn about when I brought a van..

What I would say is, when you are camping and you don't have a hookup a gas fridge works very efficiently. I can make ice and the beer is always cold :)

If you are worried about not waking up then turn it off at night. I also turn off the bottle before driving and ensure its strapped down. If you are sensible gas is safe a small bottle lasts me 10 weekend trips away and they are stocked at most camp sites.

Best of luck.

Mat

Thanks for the replies, had a look at the fridge tonight and I'm sure I keep getting a smell of ammonia. So, I'm pretty sure its shot now if it weren't before.

Plan is to remove the cooler unit and replace it with a peltier unit like what is used in a cooler box. There about £15 from China on eBay.

if it doesn't work on shore power and ye can smell ammonia then it's fecked..............

better spending that £15 on beer and forget those miracle chinese things.

last year i converted my (late) westie berlin original 3 way fridge to compressor and am more than chuffed with it.

i used this kit here with the VD 01 evaporator:

http://www.piplers.co.uk/waeco-coldmachine-55-kit-for-coolbox-installation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i got the best price from a ship's equipment shop in france, they knocked off the VAT cos i'm not in the EEC and delivery was €25.

end price to me incl. local taxes was about £330.

i'd think if you shop around you could probably find it in the UK for a similar price.

might sound like a lot of dosh but the bus stays optically original which must be worth something! ;)

oh, and it uses nearly no electric ,is very quiet and doesn't get warm. 8)

That sounds excellent, but bloody expensive! The Chinese peltier kits work on exactly the same idea as a cool box does, its the same technology. I'm not so worried about having a fridge that can get ridiculously cold, just to keep stuff cool.

Latest posts