Westfalia Trailer, before and after...........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
Its not quite finished yet as im 5 rivets short, the correct roof rack is back at the powdercoaters (long story this one) and the lid is minus some wood as the i was messed about at the wood yard (another long story) but its ready to haul now so heres some photos. Picked this up at Vanfest looking abit sorry for itself.

DSCF2185-1.jpg

DSCF2172.jpg

DSCF2468.jpg

DSCF2173.jpg

DSCF2469.jpg

DSCF2176.jpg

DSCF2470.jpg

DSCF2478.jpg

DSCF2476.jpg

The before pictures where taken after i had cleaned about 40 years of grease off the wheels and re packed the bushes etc.
Moved the spare wheel to better suit UK roads and painted the inside rather than varnish so its easier to maintain.
Roll on summer.

Ive restored bigger things with less problems to be honest. Replacing the wood was the biggest headache as it needs to line up in so many places before drilling. Also if the base board goes in slightly skwif it wont all fit together. I couldnt belive how well these little trailers are put together, but this should be good for another 40 years now.
Got afew bits from work to help keep the cost down but it still owes me quite abit more than its purchasre price but every thing has been replaced down to the last nut and bolt 8)
Just got to find a bloody tow bar now. :roll:

Nice resto. Much better than just buying a new one, and not the much more expensive. :)

Ours at VF09.
DSCN3083.jpg

Need to try and get a lid for ours, it only has a cover.

I can send you some pictures and measurements if you want, you could make one easy. No one would ever know. 4 bits of angle bar, 2 brackets and 1 piece of wood.
Looks like the weather is going to be the same as this year at vanfest next year..................... :shock:

Was waiting for someone to read it that way, how did i know it would be you. :lol:

Lowering the tone as well as vans should be your sig mate................ :lol: :lol:

Would be interested in the measurements, and a few close-ups of the hinges, corners and clasp. Does yours have the top rack?

What size rivets are you looking for, got a couple of bag full here from when I did mine, could post you some if you like?

Cali Bay, thanks for the offer but ive just ordered some from flea bay. Ive got a correct roof rack which i tracked down off a guy in Manchester (another long story) will get you all the measurements and photos you need after the weekend mate.
I didnt keep the original clasp/lock as it didnt have a key so ive just bought a replacement from the local trailer shop.

PB250006.jpg

This is our one, under going a resto.

I can let you know lock info if still needed Cali_bay, i still have a working lock.

Latest posts