Westfalia Trailer, before and after...........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres the spare wheel carrier.
DSCF2469.jpg

Photos of the roof rack tomorrow.

Hi Rich,

I gave Karmann Konnection a call and they sorted me out with some of the rack pillars :). Worth giving them a try. I just have to get the ali rails, which you can buy from metal merchants.

Cheers Si

Thanks Clyde, do have any of the bracket off the trailer and the washers which are on the inside of the trailer for the bolts?

9.jpg

I want that rack!!!! Anyone got bigger pics of the rack, I might have to make one.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement lock for the lid?

Also what are these model of trailer called? Can anyone guess what year mine is?

cheers!
Rich

Also what are these model of trailer called? Can anyone guess what year mine is?

The model is called "Essen"
But also known as "Reisegepäckanhänger" and your year could be a 1978 or 1979.
They are build between 1966 and 1981 and the one with the oldstyle rack (wich was an option) is build untill 1974 and afterwards you could only order the late style rack (the one you are looking for)
Here is the original westfalia maintenance sheet (sorry german only 8) ).
Westfaliaessen.jpg

I hope this helps.

westytrailer001jbye.jpg

westytrailer002jbye.jpg

This help? I can drag the trailer out of the garage and do some more if needed.

bigbulli wrote "I want that rack!!!! Anyone got bigger pics of the rack,"

You mean like this one i found at the back of my garage.

DSCF3126.jpg

Getting it out made me decide to get my finger out and fit it.

DSCF3131.jpg

DSCF3134-1.jpg

So i might as well start using it

DSCF3137-1.jpg

Just need a bloody tow bar now because it dont look right on the wife Renault :roll:

Very nice trailer you got there clyde 8) , i wish my trailer was in that state!
But first the van and afterwards the trailer.

Only taken 5 months on and off :shock: :shock: :shock: could be done in a week most probley so get on with it mate.

I bought the rack seperate to the trailer and it was in abit of a state. A few bars were missing/broken and some horrible brackets had been welded on (to the bottom as it happens)
So i welded the bars back in the correct positions, ground off the mounts and just welded those bits of flat bar on the bottom to bolt it to the lid. Its bolted to the lid through some small chocks of wood to keep it at the right hight and so water etc dosent get trapped under it between the rack and the lid.

clyde said:
bigbulli wrote "I want that rack!!!! Anyone got bigger pics of the rack,"

You mean like this one i found at the back of my garage.

DSCF3126.jpg

Getting it out made me decide to get my finger out and fit it.

DSCF3131.jpg

DSCF3134-1.jpg

So i might as well start using it

DSCF3137-1.jpg

Just need a bloody tow bar now because it dont look right on the wife Renault :roll:
Looks so cool with a bike on it 8)

Latest posts