Westy Roof Racks - what do you carry ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobster

Reaction score
In order to create extra space in the bus I need to start using my roof rack more but am struggling to find what I can actually carry on there.

My awning is too big/heavy to get up there. I was toying with the bedding but am paranoid that if that gets wet then your camp away is scuppered so was wondering what others load up there.

I used to load the radio flyer up too but the kids are now too big for it so it doesn’t come away much.

We use a bag from NLA and load it with pillows, duvets, mattress topper and our towels. Having used it a few times this year, I can confirm that it lets a bit of water in when in heavy rain, although I can't figure out exactly where!

Fortunately, both times it got wet were on our way home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Occasionally I put a wind break up there, but it’s too high up to store much for me. I might put a solar panel up there if I install a fridge though. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Awning (OG Westy one so heavy!), camping chairs, body board, radio flyer sometimes too.

Anything that doesn't matter if it gets wet
Awning ,chairs,folding table folding double camp bed
All held down with ratchet straps and a net

2 tool boxes, tin of oil, jack, tent, 2 camping chairs, windy drier and usually something else
that I can't leave home without. :lol: All covered up with a cover supplied by a company called
Bags2cover , waterproof and then held in place with a stretchy thing with clips on. Oh and a bottle of gas.

J & P
:D :D :D

PS. That's why I'm in the process of fabricating Mark 2 of a front roof rack. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We just got a roof bag from NLA (the grey one). We're at the end of two weeks around Cornwall and haven't had any issues with it. We've kept the camping tables, 2 chairs, bucket bbq, the tarp we use for a bit of shelter, washing bowl, a few lounger type air beds and some spare charcoal etc. There's loads of room and it's easy to get in and out. We've used the straps it came with and two bungee ropes. It sits in the roof well and doesn't whistle like a roof box. It seems watertight so far but, having been bitten before, I wouldn't put anything like bed ding or clothes up there just in case.
5403be0bea2cd6c18a12da33119cb8b3.jpg
03d2b9e9847f549dfa87da9836ca88c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I also use the nlavw bag. Had it a few years and mainly put bedding in it. Never had a leak but beware when I first got it and held it up to the light it did have some pin holes in it. However on a run and when it tight the water just runs off. This summer I left a couple of things in it and with the heavy rain and pooling of a couple of big puddles a little bit of water did come in. I recently replaced one of the bars and although I’ve seen pictures of people standing in them I’m not sure I would want to fix something down too heavy with only a few rivets in fibreglass holding it down.