westy sold, '70 deluxe home! :-)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crwbus

Reaction score
Hi,

After being just an anonymous reader for a while, I thought, why not introduce myself and my '71 bay.
Little more then 4 years ago I started driving a '72 Gemini bug. But my dream was a VW Van. At first I wanted a splitvan, but as they were/are very expensive, I started to look out for a bay, preferrably lowlight. During my search, I started to love the earlybay very much! Even more than a splitscreen van. 8)
Finally I found one which was within my budget range. It didn't take me very long to think about it, so I bought it a few days after I first saw it.

This is how I bought it (still at the sellers location when these pics were taken):
DSC_4822.jpg

DSC_4801.jpg

:? :
DSC_5528.jpg

It wasn't perfect, but it was relatively healthy and for a fair price.
DSC_4768.jpg

DSC_4769.jpg

DSC_4770.jpg

DSC_4771.jpg

DSC_4772_0001.jpg

DSC_4773.jpg

DSC_4774.jpg

DSC_4775.jpg

DSC_4776.jpg

DSC_4777.jpg

DSC_4778.jpg

DSC_4779.jpg

DSC_4780.jpg

DSC_4781.jpg

DSC_4782.jpg

DSC_4783.jpg

DSC_4784.jpg

DSC_4785.jpg

DSC_4786.jpg

DSC_4788.jpg

DSC_4791.jpg

DSC_4792.jpg

DSC_4793.jpg

DSC_4794.jpg

DSC_4795.jpg

DSC_4796.jpg

DSC_4799.jpg

DSC_4800.jpg

DSC_4801.jpg

DSC_4807.jpg

DSC_4808.jpg

DSC_4809.jpg

Two weeks later, I went to collect my new ride. At home, it got a good technical check up (un fortunately no pics): brakes, suspension, engine, etc...
A few months later, after it passed the technical inspection (which is obligatory in Belgium), I got my plates. Time to hit the road! :)

I wasn't really a fan of the color of the poptop and the wheels, so it was time for its first cosmetical change. I took off the Westfalia top, sanded it and gave it a bright white color. It also got standard steelies, which I also gave a white color, new hubcaps and rings:

bus2-1-1.jpg

DSC_5524.jpg

DSC_5525.jpg

Nice van 8)

Just 2 comments though (which I assume you have dealt with ;) )

You need the foam/rubber around the engine tinware and also the tophats under the floor look to have been butchered a bit (or was it the way the pictures was taken) :D

Cheers

Lovely 71!
Interesting bumpers. Are they bare metal or stainless?
Where did you buy the chrome rings from as I'm after a set but heard various reports on quality.

Take it easy. Gary.

gninnam said:
Nice van 8)

Just 2 comments though (which I assume you have dealt with ;) )

You need the foam/rubber around the engine tinware and also the tophats under the floor look to have been butchered a bit (or was it the way the pictures was taken) :D

Cheers

The foam around the engine tinware was one of the first things which has been taken care of. ;) But... what do you mean by tophats under the floor?? :oops: :oops: Do you mean the bars which "cross" the van from left to right? I think in he past there was a tank or something. And they are butchered, that's true. But of course, in the future, they will be replaced. I intend to give the bus a complete restauration, in a not so near future, when there is time and money ;).

Heebee_GB said:
Lovely 71!
Where did you buy the chrome rings from as I'm after a set but heard various reports on quality.

Take it easy. Gary.

It's neither bare metal nor stainless! It's silver paint. At least, it was when these pics were taken... ;)

Of course, this vehicle was way to high! So I got me a narrowed and adjustable beam. So, somewhere between Xmas and New Year's eve in 2009, me and a friend replaced the old (no pics of removing the old one because I forgot my cam that day)

But the day after:
DSC_5646.jpg

DSC_5841.jpg

DSC_5849.jpg

DSC_5855.jpg

DSC_5857.jpg

DSC_5862.jpg

DSC_5864.jpg

The result:
DSC_5869.jpg

Only the front has been lowered. The back will follow a few weeks later. :)

Because the roof was not original, I decided to do something about that. However, it took me a long time to decide whether I was going for a small poptop, leave is as it is, or close the roof.
But I got lucky! A friend of mine had bought himself a bay which was going to be a donor. He needed the walkthrough section for his 71er. So the decision was made: close the hole in the roof. Actually, this friend was going to do it. Here are some pics:

After removing the interior:
100_1458.jpg

100_1460.jpg

100_1462.jpg

100_1480.jpg

Donor in the background: :)
100_1485.jpg

100_1487.jpg

100_1497.jpg

100_1489.jpg

Once it was back home, I stripped the exterior, sanded the van and gave it a new color. The paint (for agriculture vehicles :D ) was not sprayed, but rolled. :)
Of course, I bumped into some bad spots :( , but for now, I decided to mask them.

DSC_6166.jpg

DSC_6168.jpg

DSC_6163.jpg

DSC_6162.jpg

DSC_6169.jpg

DSC_6170.jpg

DSC_6176.jpg

DSC_6188.jpg

DSC_6201.jpg

splitt said:
Heebee_GB said:
Lovely 71!

Take it easy. Gary.

It's neither bare metal nor stainless! It's silver paint. At least, it was when these pics were taken... ;)

Sorry, I forgot to answer your second question. :oops: I am very happy with the rings! They are very easy to mount (they just click on your wheel) and they never come off! I have them for over a year and already did a few 1000kms. I bought them here (click).

In the meantime, I sold the small roof rack and bought myself a "modern" King Pin roofrack. With some minor adjustments of the height, it fits my bay perfectly. Some like it, some don't. But I love it! :)

IMG_2013.jpg

Unfortunelately no pic of my bay at Ninove... :(

splitt said:
Do you mean the bars which "cross" the van from left to right?

Yes - glad you will get them sorted as they add a lot to the vehicles rigidity ;)

Great photo journal of what you did - the roof looks very well done :D

Will you be going to NINOVE this year as quiet a few EB'ers will be (not me as the van isn't on the road yet)??

splitt said:
splitt said:
Heebee_GB said:
Lovely 71!

Take it easy. Gary.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your second question. :oops: I am very happy with the rings! They are very easy to mount (they just click on your wheel) and they never come off! I have them for over a year and already did a few 1000kms. I bought them here (click).

Sweet. Cheers splitt.

gninnam said:
Great photo journal of what you did - the roof looks very well done :D

Will you be going to NINOVE this year as quiet a few EB'ers will be (not me as the van isn't on the road yet)??

Yep! I was at Ninove last sunday and next year I will go again!

Not much done here...

Except a trip to Germany (Mosel area). I will post some pics this weekend.

And got myself some comfortable "new" seats: 8)

IMG_0338.jpg

Mounted:

Photo0192.jpg

Originally Porsche 924 I think...

Now it's time to think about fixing the door panels. :oops:

Latest posts