What did you do with your early bay today

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yachty said:
@ Just.......We is cool daddio's :D

Ozzie, was the oil all over the top of the engine? If so, my money would be on oil cooler seals or a loose oil cooler ;)

Not just over the top ,,, but everywhere, so much so that the back of the bus has a nice sheen to it and the bumper and the back window. I`ll get down there in a bit and try to mop it dry or dryish and see if we can start identifying the `where' factor. I`m thinking the bus has been leak free since I rebuilt the motor two to two and a half years ago and hardly using any oil,, perhaps a quarter of a litre in that time. Then I had some fuel pump issues then I had to have one of the carbs off and fidget with it. So I`m thinking the carb ,, maybe not connected, fuel pump,,,, that`s looking more suspect. Once it`s had a good old fan blown soaking in there i,,, it`s every bloody where :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wearing throw away ables :mrgreen:

Well today I fitted new indicator rubber seals then noticed I really need to get the body work started :? .
Then I had a little play with the malpassi fuel pressure regulator as the carbs are popping and farting all over the place I'm thinking maybe the pressure was a bit high do I twiddled with the adjuster and as it doesn't actually click or anything when you adjust it I just guessed.

Now last month I stripped my top end and replaced the oil cooler seals,push rod tubes and seals and also did the flywheel seals as the engine was out all to try to resolve an oil leak.
Well it's still leaking mainly around the fuel pump,distributor area? Not sure what to try next

Mark

took it along to dubfreeze

001-9_zps4ed43441.jpg

004-6_zps0dc2ee1b.jpg

Finally fitted the Propex that was bought through the JK group buy back in November. I had been putting it off and putting it off, but with the sun shining I dived in. Fired up first time after clearing an airlock. Am I a happy camper or what. :D

The hook up trip switches have had to be relocated as a result, seen temporarily tucked back in the top pic, but that other than that it was a fairly straightforward install.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

crede999 said:
Resto-raider said:
Started polishing the deluxe trim. Spot the differences
Foto-6Y66WOHQ-D.jpg

good result there fella ;) whats your method ? :msn4:

chris

I have two polishing wheels that I can put on the drill. The wheels have different textures. Also each wheel has its own polishing paste. What I did is I sanded/keyed the trim with fine wet sandpaper, then used the first polishing wheel to make it shine and polishing wheel number two to give it a mirror finish.
It takes a lot of time, but it is really worthwhile.

I bought the polishing wheels and pastes as a set at a tradestand on a motorcycle show.

I fixed the oil leak from the LHS rocker cover that made it look like my engine had a bad smoking problem, changed the oil as I have now done 500 miles on the new engine :) Replaced my sunpro oil temp and pressure gauges with a couple of stack one. Only to find the temp gauge doesn't bloody work.

Drove around in it and enjoyed it.

Bought a folding kitchen thing from go outdoors and a set of shelves. Mental note to self do not take the Mrs with you as she tinhks you need all these gadgets. I keep mentioning the lack of space but it falls on deaf ears :)

On the bright side if she keeps this up there wont be enough space for everyone so either her or the kids will have to stay at home :)

Delilahtoo said:
Finally fitted the Propex that was bought through the JK group buy back in November. I had been putting it off and putting it off, but with the sun shining I dived in. Fired up first time after clearing an airlock. Am I a happy camper or what. :D

The hook up trip switches have had to be relocated as a result, seen temporarily tucked back in the top pic, but that other than that it was a fairly straightforward install.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Nice one, did you take your gas through the floor and back up, or take the interior out and ffed it through the units?

Nice job mate.

Paul.

myvanway 69 said:
Delilahtoo said:

Nice one, did you take your gas through the floor and back up, or take the interior out and ffed it through the units?

Nice job mate.

Paul.

I put a 25mm hole through the side of the bench seat and the ajoining cupboard, where the gas bottle stands. The pipework is clear of the units so no risk of movement. I did shed a small tear as I drilled my og Devon furniture but sod it, I need to be warm.

Thanks for your previous pics BTW, just the job.

Today I replaced my distributor o ring but still got pissing oil leak from somewhere any ideas as I've changed
1-flywheel oil seal(both)
2-push rod seals and tubes
3-oil cooler seals
4-fuel pump gaskets

Anything I've missed?

Mark

Mark6455 said:
Today I replaced my distributor o ring but still got pissing oil leak from somewhere any ideas as I've changed
3-oil cooler seals
4-fuel pump gaskets

Anything I've missed?

Mark

Given that you've changed the dizzy o ring I assume there is oil in that area so check the case threads for the oil pressure switch? If its been over tightened in the past the switch won't seal properly

yachty said:
Mark6455 said:
3-oil cooler seals
4-fuel pump gaskets

Anything I've missed?

Mark

Given that you've changed the dizzy o ring I assume there is oil in that area so check the case threads for the oil pressure switch? If its been over tightened in the past the switch won't seal properly

Thanks for the reply yachty
If that's the case what's the remedy

Mark(on nights parked up watching hangover2)

PTFE tape, careful not to cover the hole in the switch. Plenty of wraps. I was once told by a plumber 8 wraps minimum!

Easy way to tell is if you still have threads showing on the switch, and its just slightly more than hand tight, then it's probably OK. If you can screw it all the way in with little effort the taper in the case is likely goosed. It doesn't take much. Think of it like an oil filter, hand tight and half a turn more.

Took my '72 over to Matt Balls for a new clutch, ball joints, track rods and a tickle with the lowering stick. Jeez it was cold. I'm sure my heating used to work better than it does now!

yachty said:
PTFE tape, careful not to cover the hole in the switch. Plenty of wraps. I was once told by a plumber 8 wraps minimum!

Easy way to tell is if you still have threads showing on the switch, and its just slightly more than hand tight, then it's probably OK. If you can screw it all the way in with little effort the taper in the case is likely goosed. It doesn't take much. Think of it like an oil filter, hand tight and half a turn more.

Thanks yachty it seems to have sorted it
8 wraps of ptfe tape and leak free at last

Mucho graffias

Latest posts