What gearbox have I got??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoonerdtg

Reaction score
Good morning I have just driven back from Devon to hertsfordshire and it was a great journey but....

I have 185/65 R15 rear tyres and and 165/50 R15 fronts and my speedo is out as they all are ( well it broke on the way home anyway)

I'm sure some mentioned before that in 4th at 3500rpm should be 60-65mph well according to sat Nav gps mine was doing 55mph!!

I've checked my gearbox code this morning and can't find it listed anywhere?

It's a lhd from Cali and the code reads

C1080 6022

Does anyone know what I've got?

Thanks

No such gearbox code ever came from the factory.
It will either be CA, CE, CO or CU for a 1600 type 1. Type 4 engines came with CK for the 1700 (also a CL, but that had a LSD), CM for the 1800 (CN with LSD), and CP for the 2000 (CT with LSD).

Your current rear tyres at 185/65/15 are just under 6% smaller than stock 185C14, so you'll be cruising at a slightly higher engine speed.
And the fronts at 165/50/15 are 17% smaller, so at an indicated speedo reading of 70mph you're actually doing a maxmimum of 58mph, even before taking into account speedo inaccuracy.

Is it possible that the C1 you are looking at is in fact CK or CL or CU etc etc. Maybe if you take a very close up photo of the letters and then blow it up a bit, you may see a slightly different thing.

Ozziedog ',,,,,,, possibilities :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Well , I know I`m old and hard of sight etc, but I got the same as you. C1,,,,,,,,, So maybe it has been re stamped , or is there another explanation like a mountain range box or something equally obscure.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Whats wrong with 55 anyhow ? :mrgreen:

Just had confirmation from my pal at vw it is a a early 60's bay box but is a mountain range box , it's going in a couple of weeks due to me fitting a 1303s box so hopefully I will have lower revs in 4th and gain 10mph cruising speed which is awesome

spoonerdtg said:
Just had confirmation from my pal at vw it is a a early 60's bay box but is a mountain range box , it's going in a couple of weeks due to me fitting a 1303s box so hopefully I will have lower revs in 4th and gain 10mph cruising speed which is awesome

Oooh, don`t tell me I guessed one right :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Put a pin in the calendar :mrgreen:

Latest posts