What is that bit of cardboard stuff above the engine?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinky

Reaction score
Some scumbag. I assume trying to get into the van opened my engine lid and pulled down that cardboard bit above the engine. It now won't go back up. Do I need to replace it? What is it for and what is it called please?

Also there is no engine seal - does the engine really have to be removed to fit one?

Thanks, Kerri

Kerri, I believe it is called a tar board and it's very difficult to get hold of replacements. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think they help to supress the engine noise in the bus. It won't hurt if it's not in place as many have it missing, but it does serve a purpose, otherwise it wouldn't have been put there by VW.

Gert Big T said:
Kerry, I believe it is called a tar board and it's very difficult to get hold of replacements. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think they help to supress the engine noise in the bus. It won't hurt if it's not in place as many have it missing, but it does serve a purpose, otherwise it wouldn't have been put there by VW.

When I got mine it was all pissed and sitting on top of the pan air filter so I removed half of it, think like said its soundproofing wont hurt unless you have a shat exhaust......like me!!!!!!!! then its even more droning!!!! :shock: :lol:

Thanks guys. It is still in one piece but very out of shape. Is there a way to reattach it or can it be replaced with other sound proofing?

Hi kerri

It's held in place with bent over metal tabs if it's a pre 71 bus, do you can bend the tabs down put the board back up and then bend the tabs back.
I think 71 on its screwed in place but I may be wrong
Hope that's of some help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's held in place with bent over metal tabs if it's a pre 71 bus, do you can bend the tabs down put the board back up and then bend the tabs back.
I think 71 on its screwed in place but I may be wrong

As long as the metal tabs are there it can be reattached. might be worth taking it out and flatening it between two pieces of chipboard or something similar
using g-clamps...or bricks. just over night so to make for easier refitting. :D

Brilliant I'll check tomorrow .......didn't have any bricks so I've put my spare wheel on it! :mrgreen:

Mine was missing from our van. I replaced it with Amriemach Thermo-Guard FR that I got from Amazon (24" x 48" about £15). I stuck it in place with Amriemach's Heavy Duty Adhesive (spray can £4.50). I check with Amriemach before fitting to make sure it was suitable and they told me that's what they're made for. Works great and helps with both noise and heat reduction in the van.

Here's a suggestion..remove the tar boards.make a copy of the shape out of very thin ply,say 3mm,put to one side.
Heat the tar boards up with a hot air gun/hair dryer and then when they are soft and floppy,put dead weight onto them (toolbox?trolley jack?) to keep them super flat while they cool, use the ply to spread the weight evenly.once cool,tar boards will be straighter.now use impact adhesive and glue them to the ply you previously cut out and get the weight back on them so they are evenly bonded together.
paint or waxoyl the bare side of the ply to stop condensation warping it.respray them in satin black and re fit!!

pinky said:
Also there is no engine seal - does the engine really have to be removed to fit one?

Thanks, Kerri

Depends what part of the seal is missing.

The two side pieces and the rear can be done just by removing the rear valence.

The one over the engine by the gearbox end is a bit more difficult - never tried replacing that one with the engine in.

Latest posts