What shocks to use with Horseshoe plates???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telford Mulisha

Reaction score
Hi
Am I right in thinking I can use Beetle shocks on the rear of my bus (69 Westy)?

Since lowering with the horseshoe plates it's knocking and banging regularly even when I bounce on the rear bumper. I think I saw somewhere that people use Beetle shocks to cure this as they're shorter. So do I use front or rear beetle shocks?

Thanks for any help.

Nik

im on horse shoe plates and am running standard shocks ( they were new ones when i fitted the plates ) and they seem to be fine ! only get the ocassional knocking when going over a seriously bumpy field but out on the rd they are fine .

Heard people use beetle shocks but not 100% they'd be upto the job with the added pressure of the vans weight
i have the kyb (i think) an slam shocks on the back of mine slightly lower than yours tho as 2 spines down too
you need measure the gap between top an bottom mounting points with the van sat flat on the floor an go with a shock were this number is in the middle of the shocks range

Bwuttonmoon said:
I have standard shocks all round on my lowered van, the rears often bottom out so my plan is to put the fronts on the rear..
so question is where can I get 2 front lowered shocks from for a decent price? the distance measures 300mm when sitting

Cheers

Is this an option as I have a spare pair of front shocks after fitting some coilovers

Telford Mulisha said:
Bwuttonmoon said:
I have standard shocks all round on my lowered van, the rears often bottom out so my plan is to put the fronts on the rear..
so question is where can I get 2 front lowered shocks from for a decent price? the distance measures 300mm when sitting

Cheers

Is this an option as I have a spare pair of front shocks after fitting some coilovers

This is what I will be doing in the next week or 2

Bwuttonmoon said:
Telford Mulisha said:
Bwuttonmoon said:

Cheers

This is what I will be doing in the next week or 2

What front shocks did you go for Bwutton? I used some cheap coilovers from GSF with my dropped spindles, get some rubbage but i'm still rolling with fat tyres... Got 1 more click of adjustment to go.
Nik

Caution post hijack sorry what wheels and tires are people running with horseshoe plates sorry again

Tristan71 said:
Caution post hijack sorry what wheels and tires are people running with horseshoe plates sorry again

I'm running standard 14" steels with massive 195/75/14 tyres all round.

Just put my spare front shocks on the rear end of the bus, a bit of faffing about to get the bolt back in but a quick bounce on the bumper and no more bottoming out. :D

Also adjusted the coilovers on the front cause it rubbed like a bitch for the 4 mile drive to Camperjam fully laden :lol:. On the last notch now so I'll see how it runs up to Snowdon at the wkend.
Dropped spindles, fit and forget, yeah alright :50:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nik

I'm using same shocks I used before with no issues. Seems beetle shocks would be weaker. Dunno.

Latest posts