What was that crunch sound?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob-stone

Reaction score
hopefully you lovely early bay peeps can help me out.

Yeaterday i went to drive my van. I turned the key, heard a short and sharp crunch/click/crack like sound and thought; shit :shock:

I turned the key again, and all i get is the motor turning over once and thats it....apart from the noise from my fuel pump.

What can the trouble be?

It ran and started like clockwork untill now

to make matters worse, am backed up against a rose bush and a load of bedding plants, my car port is on an incline and i cant push my van to peek into the engine. :cry:

It's difficult to say from your description... It may be your starter motor sticking - you could try to give it a sharp tap from a large hammer handle if you can get in there - try it and then try to start the engine again (if you hear the dreaded crunching again when you start it then stop turning the engine over straight away to avoid further damage!)

Good luck, and let us know how you get on...

;)

It does indeed sound like the starter, whats it sound like at the minute? Since your on an incline stick it in reverse and try to rock it back a touch if the driving dog is sticking then chances are it may free it up enough, then again it may just stick you further in the pricklies. :x

did you drive over a really big snail?

:D i love all creatures.

some boys are coming over tomorrow, they dont know it yet but they will be pushing :)

When its moved a bit i will begin to poke around. I havnt bothered looking yet as im one lazy mother.....

Man that was hard work!
I managed to pull the van out using my mini :shock: then spent the rest of the morning crawling under the bus. Im covered in black waxoyl and have a carpet burn on my arm.....dont ask.

I checked the battery, thats fine. i even tryed to start it with a booster, but the same thing happened. I rocked it in gear and gave the starter a few taps with a hammer. Every time i tryed to start it, it would turn over once and die.

So i took this out
DSCF1001.jpg

Dont think it had been touched since the factory.

To be honest i dont know much about this. However there is alot of play if i move the spindle/cog part, also. when you shake the whole thing stuff rattles inside....im no expert but im thinking its shot.

cheers for the great support guys! and to think i was going to buy people a drink at the next show.

i will keep you posted with the next episode of carry on - the camper

:D

Latest posts