What wax?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoPower-NoResp

Reaction score
I've just waxed my van and having never really bothered waxing any of my previous cars I didn't really know what to expect. I bought a cheap turtle wax from Halfrauds and was wondering what other people use? I'm hoping to build up a few layers to help protect the paintwork. It's recently had a respray and seems rather delicate and easy to damage at the moment!! Also is it worth getting a buffer tool or anything to save on the elbow grease?? Cheers, Tim

Same here, can't fault them the more there used, the shinier they get, and the less crap sticks to em........brilliant !

Get a full ensemble of it.......it's worth it !

I got Maguiers and it's bloody brilliant, expensive but will last longer on the paint, also piece of piss to wipe off n no dusty haze

Depends on how good your paint is really and how hard you want to work!!!!
Autoglym resin polish is great but a pain on black rubber trim and hot weather is a bit of a no no ....i have found?!
Mer is great, you can add it with the wash, Fire proof!! But more for concours paint work as it duznt cut much.
Meguires is very good all round, but not cheap, easy to apply and remove..... fantastic finish so my choice and I use there shampoo too. ( Smells great) :lol:
All this is MOA. :D

As above depends on your paint and how anal you are. Also colour...

I used to be really into car detailing when i didn't have other things to fill my weekends ( like little people...)

I personally dont like the brands mentioned above as there are a lot better products out there.

Also you need to consider how much prep work you are willing to put in, how often you fancy waxing your car etc.

If you are a lazy so and so look for collinite wax, it is developed for the harsh canadian winters and lasts ablong time. If you want depth of shine on a dark car then this is not the best option...

I still have some zymol wax in my fridge i paid £500 for... But like i said that was back in the day. If my ca didnt have a mirror finish i wadn't happy. I'll look out some old pics to show you what i mean :)

Used to be Meguires....(still use their wash shampoo)
Now use DODO JUICE and no complaints from me....lasts ages!!.....again not cheap tho!!
Smells lurvly too!!!! :roll:

I guess it's all personal choice & what works for you.

My personal fav. Is Zaino Z2 pro, Z6 as a top up, using Z8 as finale seal/detailing spray. I also use Jetseal 109 for alloys & as a sealer for chrome bits.

I have used Swissol/Swissvax in the past with excellent results.

The Zaino is a synthetic coating rather than a traditional carnauba wax like Swissvax.

You generally get what you pay for, but no point in spending £100 on wax if you haven't prepped/clayed the paintwork correctly first.

I have a friend who owns Muc Off. He's just sent me a very large box of sample products to try, we will see what it's like & report back.

Cheers

Graham.

Marriedblonde said:

I used to be really into car detailing when i didn't have other things to fill my weekends ( like little people...)

I still have some zymol wax in my fridge i paid £500 for.

:shock:

myvanway 69 said:
Marriedblonde said:

I still have some zymol wax in my fridge i paid £500 for.

:shock:

I thought £20 was pants down!!!!?? :lol:

I found meguires to be much better than autoglym, i used autoglm for years then a friend told me to try meguires so i got some gold shampoo and wax and never looked back,the shine seems to last longer too.
I have also used halfords black polish for black cars and this worked better than anything else, maybe it depends on colour.

sparkywig said:
I think you need to drive your buses more...... :msn4:

I'm out most weekends in her, more so than your good self i'd say Sparky :roll:
Isle of Wight trip coming soon amongst others...
No harm in protecting them from the elements whilst doing so.......unless your a ratty lover of course :msn4:
Personally i think you cant beat a good shine!! :roll:

radish said:
I found meguires to be much better than autoglym, i used autoglm for years then a friend told me to try meguires so i got some gold shampoo and wax and never looked back,the shine seems to last longer too.
I have also used halfords black polish for black cars and this worked better than anything else, maybe it depends on colour.

It's all about the prep work with black...Don;t do the prep and even the most expensive wax will look dull and streaky...

About the only thing in the Auto Glym range that is any good is the fast glass IMO.

simonez yellow wax, shine will last for ever but it will take you for ever to get it off...

I stocked up with Meguirs after getting some Halfords vouchers and set about claying, polishing and then waxing a couple of cars and the results were amazing. I did 'sort of' do the van too and it does come up very nicely, so now I just use the spray wax and detailer on it. Once youve done the ground work the maintainence is easy ... like everything really. So anyway, Meguirs for me.

Latest posts