What's going on with my arches??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynods

Reaction score
Some pics of my arches. It's a 1970 bus so I reckon they are wrong. I haven't been that bothered up to now as the bus was pretty cheap and it has so many things that are not original so I'm not precious.

Now though... I need to repair the arches, where the bumpers bolt on, so I really need to know what I have.

Can anyone tell??

I guess my options are to replace the whole arch and put it right or replace just the rotten bit???

I know the panels are crap, or the NOS or imported green panels are very expensive. Any thoughts??

Pics of how they are now...

bumu8u9e.jpg

4uqapuqy.jpg

It's a shame really as I bought it from a trader who was 'doing it up to order' and I remember him saying that someone had put the wrong arches on from a split so he would put that right. Having only had lates before, I knew no different. As I said, I now think he was wrong... balls!!

Here are the pics from that time....

3edugedu.jpg

a9yme6u7.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Both front and rear are not correct for a '70 bus, but it's not that important, but if they need work again then I'd get the flat fronts and the rear with the small lip

Cheers mate. What I thought. Defo need doing...see pic...

a8u3e7ap.jpg

Just whether I do whole arch or just the bottom section near step bumper bracket bit???

Don't think you can get the high quality panels for this bit, which is why I'm thinking of getting the whole thing done... with klassicfab or jk 72 panel and don't put the arch type right....

My advice is to stay away from any wheel arch part you can buy from the usual places. I spent ages trying to get a complete arch from Kloken-whatever and gave up. Managed to track down cuts.

Other than a cut (I paid £250 an arch a few weeks back), KlassicFab was my plan B. I will never buy anything that isn't NOS or made in the UK/KlassicFab again.

Maybe I got unlucky with the arch, I don't know. Coincidental that all the other Klonken stuff I've had, has also been a terrible fit, poorly made. I will take a pic of the front lower rear arch repair I have from Klonken and the Just Kampers alternative. (JK one is lovely).

When I phoned the importers, a lot were heading out to various sunny places next month, so if you can wait, and can afford it of course, that may be an option?

Oh, and one of the arches I did get, whoever cut it, cut it half way along the step (the bit in your pic). So I thought I would use 6 or so inches of the repro arch step cut to shape. No such luck, there is about a 2 inch gap between the inner part (you've posted), and the outter part.

That'd be great if you could show me a JK bottom panel that would do the job and is UK produced etc. Didn't spot one. I'll have a look again. Thanks for the reply.

I'll check the v5 tomorrow...

V5 will be wrong as it will give date of registration, not manufacture. You need to decode the build from your m-code plate.

But (assuming their right and not been swapped on), if it's on wide 5 drums then it should be on the small lip rear arches :)

That said, unless you're going for a spot-on restoration, it's your bus so fit the ones that you like the look of best! 8)

Tim S said:
Geeze said:
if it's on wide 5 drums then it should be on the small lip rear arches :)
Quite right, but we've all heard of weirdness around model change time.

Reckon that the weirdnesses that come about around resto time are far more common!

Built and helped build enough early look late bugs in the 90s to know :lol:

As above if you want original cheapest way is US cuts. If your not bothered to much buy genuine VW late bay arches and cut the step off to match the floor silhouette, and use a filler plate like this

Either way is easier than get a klockingoff arch to fit

Thanks all. It is wide five all around but I agree that there will be more idiosyncrasies from dodgy restorations over the years than how it came out if the factory for this old UK RHD bus!!

Will have a little think about that last point about using later arches. Interesting...

Latest posts