What's the story with 2 pack paint?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWAIRCOOLED

Reaction score
I remember all the fuss about 2 pack paint was going to be taken off the shelves last year.Whatever happened to that idea,it seems it's still available which is good news.

yeah I heard is was all going water based, not sure when its going to happen though!

Think it was going to be banded due to isocyinates (not sure of spelling).

I think the paint manufactures must have found a way of cutting down on the nasty's or changing the chemicals used.

It's mostly waterbased in the bodyshops now, but the final clear coat is still 2-pack.
So it's actually only slightly more environmentally friendly than before.
It's more work because it's always a 2 layer system now instead of instant shiney paint with 2-pack.
It's pretty cool however that we can just rinse our spray guns with tap water when using water based. But spraying the clear coat is just nasty, it"s a bitch to clean up and the fumes WILL kill you.

I actualy know of a bloke that died from paint fuems from two pack paint! he used to paint cars with no ventilation and no mask!

In this country you can only buy 2 pack paint if you are spraying commercial or agricultural equipment or machinery, or classic cars.
Everything else has to be waterbase. It's no real biggie when doing modern cars anyway as the majority now are metallic so needed basecoat and laquer anyway. The real advantage of solvent based paints in a modern bodyshop was quicker drying times.

As Nate says the primers and laquers are still 2 pack (which do contain isocyanites that can kill - the common mistake is people think when they can't smell it its safe. This however is wrong as isocyanites are odourless. So when people take their mask off and walk into the booth to see what they have sprayed they are still exposed to the chemicals which is why proper booths have a clear time)

Home spraying always makes me wince anyway, I don't get why people think celly is the safe option, I certainly wouldn't want a lungful of it!

2 pack is not forsale anymore in NI, but as in all things you can get it if you know the right people. I justs asked around and was given a few numbers for guys who would mix/match any colour in 2 pack. Its so much less hassle and drys much faster.

I'm led to believe if you have an historic vehicle you can still get 2 pack legally but you have to fill in a raft of forms and get permission from the revelant authorities.

I like 2 pack paint and hope it's available if I need it in the future,but I would always get the pros to do there stuff with it,as has been said it's lethal stuff.

How does the water based paint stand the test of time,I mean will it shrink and sink like celly does? I take it the finish will be similar,after all the laquer is still 2 pack.

Latest posts