Wheel sizes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr00veg0d

Reaction score
Evening chaps,

can anyone tell me if I can fit post '73 disc brakes up front and still run 14" steelies?

Or will I need to go for 15" ones?

cheers

You will need to go to 15s and will still need a little bit of clearancing of the calipers.

If you are fitting late brakes to early disc spindles with adapters you can retain the 14 inch wheels, you may have to take some metal off the calipers though as there is a slight risk of rubbing.
Nothing drastic though and there's plenty of meat on a caliper.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thinking of changing the spindles for the French slammer ones (disc version) so I can lower the bus at the same time

Want to keep the wide5s so want to get some of Buttys wheel adapters.

Anyone else gone down this route? Any tips?

sparkywig said:
Why do you need to fit 15" wheels?
Later buses with disc brakes were fitted with 14" steels.
But they have a different shape compared to wide 5s to clear the calipers.

I fitted later spindles/discs/calipers and tried fitting my original 14s and even with the extra clearance from the adapters they weren't fitting. After fitting the 15s still needed to take a bit off the calipers.

A5H said:
sparkywig said:
Why do you need to fit 15" wheels?
Later buses with disc brakes were fitted with 14" steels.
But they have a different shape compared to wide 5s to clear the calipers.

I fitted later spindles/discs/calipers and tried fitting my original 14s and even with the extra clearance from the adapters they weren't fitting. After fitting the 15s still needed to take a bit off the calipers.

This is good to know Ash, I do have a set of 15" wide5s on my bug so I might have to swap things round a bit

Latest posts