Wheels, tyres and suspension!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm somewhat frustrated, and feel the need to have a bit of vent/rant so bear with me if you will :)

So my bus is lowered (Front: T2d K&L narrowed beam + dropped spindles, Rear: adj spring plates + narrowed track), and after driving it around for a year or more, and shearing the deep sump cover nut heads (twice), catching the tip of the Python tailpipe, and mashing the steering box (numerous times) on the speed-bumps of Surrey and its surrounding area it was time to take action.

And the action taken was to raise it up via the beam adjusters and spring plates.

All pretty straightforward stuff, and doing so resolved the deep sump/exhaust clearance issues, and had the effect of generating a bit more rake (which was kinda cool), but resulted in making the front (which wasn't really ever that soft a ride with 165/55/15 tyres) more harsh. I also noticed knocking sounds from the rear - which I tolerated/ignored for maybe another 6 months, thinking it was the battery not being mounted securely.

How wrong I was. The battery was clamped down securely - and after some investigation/advice it turns out that the knocking is actually caused by the rear shocks. Again, no problem I thought - I'll just get some better (and the right size) replacement shocks (gas ones, rather than oil) and improve the bus's ride/handling at the same time. But... putting matching shocks (Bilstein's) all round isn't a possibility due to the front already being at its highest point!

So as I see it, there are a few options I could choose:
1 - Relocate the beam adjusters so it allows the front to go up higher (and at the same time raise the back up to keep things level)
2 - Replace the dropped spindles with stock versions - which will raise the front up 3.5" in one hit
3 - Fit a slimmer deep sump and lower the back (keeping the existing shocks) and eliminating the knocking sound as the shocks will be operating at the right height.

Something else to throw in the melting pot is that I have been considering swapping out my current wheels (15" Enkei's) with the stock 14" steels - for more of a sleeper lock - but this in turn will lower the bus even more!!

I'd be interested in getting peoples thoughts/ideas, as I've no doubt been massively over-thinking this, and have lost the will to live LOL!

Cheers,

Mike

I don't envy you this trouble.... Not sure that no2 helps with comfort, but 14inch wheels with a higher profile tyre would be ok. Or you could splash out completely and return to stock...

Someone will be along in a minute to provide some knowledge...

Bluesnailman said:
I don't envy you this trouble.... Not sure that no2 helps with comfort, but 14inch wheels with a higher profile tyre would be ok. Or you could splash out completely and return to stock...

Someone will be along in a minute to provide some knowledge...

I have considered going back to stock - but that's the last resort (and requires most effort/cash/parts etc)

sparkywig said:
OK, you haven't said which sump you've got fitted.
I'm running an 80mm crank on my Type 3 with the 2 quart wide glide sump which is about 50mm deep.

It's a Berg 3.5qt. Massive by all accounts - and a 2qt (as you have) should be sufficient.

Cool. Karlos from here also recommend the 2qt wide glide too. Fit one of those and I could go lower lol :)

Yup, I have a 2 quart wide glide and an 82mm crank with zero issues.

mcvw said:
Something else to throw in the melting pot is that I have been considering swapping out my current wheels (15" Enkei's) with the stock 14" steels - for more of a sleeper lock - but this in turn will lower the bus even more!!

Why would fitting stock 14's lower it, you need to keep your rolling radius so when running 14's you keep to the original profile fitted 185R14, on the front you can fit 14's that are equivalent or larger than your current 15's??

If the banging is coming from your rear dampers it sounds like they are bottoming out so too long for the height you are running at, easy fix to put shorter dampers on, are you sure its not your spring plates hitting the stops?

Happy to have a look at it for you but a reasonable drive away, this is the bread and butter stuff in the workshop

- I wouldn't be fitting stock tyres. Probably a 165/60/14 which is 1inch smaller (in height) than a 165/60/15. A 165/70/14 is similar height to 165/60/15 - but it looks awful - way too much tyre!!

- It's the shocks, and it only started to happens after raising the rear end up.

- Thanks, but too far to consider :)

If fitting 14's to buses we fit 165/60/14, are you really running 165/60/15 as most people run 165/50/15 which equates to the same as the 160/60/14, never caused us a problem and looks fine

Latest posts