Where could I get one of these from?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milfredo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My solution to hold down the roof of the bus leaves a very sharp piece of metal to get tangled on when climbing into the new roof bed.

I have a new plan and would like one of these... also, what goes on the roof to clip on this?

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 07.27.58.png

My solution to hold down the roof of the bus leaves a very sharp piece of metal to get tangled on when climbing into the new roof bed.

I have a new plan and would like one of these... also, what goes on the roof to clip on this?

View attachment 7544
we've got similar brackets on the bus and on the roof - then a small strap goes through them both to hold the roof down. Here's a couple of pics, not the best, but hopefully show you location etc
2911-9ef5629b67df5d1e4ee04523f37abaf5.data.jpeg

3016-7658580cd626ad2ffccd5ccfea72a3f3.data.jpeg

Last edited:
we've got similar brackets on the bus and on the roof - then a small strap goes through them both to hold the roof down. Here's a couple of pics, not the best, but hopefully show you location etc
View attachment 7545

View attachment 7546
After my little roof off fiasco on the Severn Bridge a few years back, I too resorted to physical straps to retain my Houdini of a roof. Worked really well but became a bit time consuming when packing up from camping. I put up with it for a few years mainly using double sided fabric Velcro doing the same routine as your straps above until I could come up with a nicer alternative. I bought quite a few different types of clips and pins and toggles etc but just couldn’t manage a nice simple and quick release and attach method for ages. Eventually I cobbled together four over centre clips to hold it down which are super quick to use either upping or downing and I’m happy that my errant roof has met his match. I’ll grab a good picture later. But here’s the double sided Velcro just before it’s strapped down.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I’m a man of many fiascos :)
IMG_2567.jpeg

View attachment 7545

View attachment 7546
I have the same set up as Ben with 4 straps. They work really well, provided you remember to lower the roof 🤣 unlike I did on a 7 mile jaunt to Tenby South Beach last year 🙈

Here’s my over centre clips. Much more solid and much more positive arrangement altogether. Had a right pfafff getting them all to physically line up initially. This the front one behind the drivers seat O.S.F. and with the bunk cover peeled back to get to it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,took me time IMG_4061.jpeg

Here’s my over centre clips. Much more solid and much more positive arrangement altogether. Had a right pfafff getting them all to physically line up initially. This the front one behind the drivers seat O.S.F. and with the bunk cover peeled back to get to it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,took me time View attachment 7551
This looks solid but would be overkill for this job.

I have these 07979 726763

The strap-bridges on the left are of the type for the roof rack and the rubber toggle straps are the correct ones for the front-hinged Westfalia elevating roof as on my 1973 model-year; which would be used in conjunction with the offset strap bridge on the rear edge steel-roof aperture.

Mine is a 71 but is missing the correct strap to hold the roof down. I was thinking of using a roof rack bracket (like the one above) and a strap of some kind as I need to pull the roof down further as the new bed interferes a little and prevents the seal from shutting by a few mil.

This picture from the aforementioned thread on The Samba's "bay-window" bus forum, looks like the original factory-fitted set-up on my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental.

1039412.jpg

Whilst they are available from Just Kampers, I would probably be wise to get three new ones, to replace the 51½ year old original factory-fitted ones on my vehicle.

I'm ₳ tool, ₳ complete tool. One of these came with the bus as spares and I was looking at it thinking this is too long. The one on my bus is just missing the metal bit, it has the hole and looks to be in good shape. With the bracket on, it's too long but then I noticed that the top basket is on upside down. Sometimes having ₳ clear understanding on how something works can go ₳ long way! I'll follow up with pics

Latest posts