Which dropped spindles?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcvw

Reaction score
Hi,

Considering dropped spindles to lower our 71 bay (discs), but cannot decide which manufacturer/method is appropriate? Wagenswest, SlammedPanel, or A.N.Other?

Here's what I've gleaned from this forum (and other VW forums)...

WW:
Pro's=original geometry therefore retains original ride.
Con's: Only provide 2.5" drop (but could be tweaked with an adjustable beam to go lower). Welded so *could* be deemed not as strong as a cast spindle. Add's 12mm (I think) to overall track.

SlammedPanel:
Pro's=4" drop (maybe more?), machined (not welded) so no loss in strength, no increase in track.
Con's=need to flip ball-joints, and *doubts* have been expressed regarding this procedure

Anybody got, or have any info on the Creative or Cool Air versions?

Would appreciate advice/opinions from fellow earlybayers :)

Cheers,

Mike

CREATIVE only do split screen spindles

COOL AIR sell the wagenwest ones.

spindles are good as you retain good ride and can run standard shocks.
combined with an adjustable beam you can go real low and still have some ride quality

slammedkustom said:
COOL AIR sell the wagenwest ones.

really?! sh!t! why have I just forked the extra £100's it costs instead of getting them shipped over

and are you sure? coolair say it's a 9mm increase in track each side, vs wagonwests 12mm

if you are definate about this I'll cancel my order, as coolair can't deliver til end of july anyway, so even allowing 3 weeks for the ww ones to arrive i still get them sooner

trust me dude they are wagenwest ones, the catalogue is full of little mistakes so 3mm isnt much.
it thought it was around 10-12mm.

FYI:

I just got a quote from Wagenswest for a pair of dropped spindles for our 71 bay (discs on front).

They can deliver in 3 weeks... and get this... price is $505 (and $120 of that is for delivery charges to UK)... so at today's exchange rate this works out at ONLY £255!!!! :shock:

I was considering a second hand pair that I saw on VZi (the guy wants £300) but I don't think I will be anymore!!!

Slammedkustom: Are the WW spindles really that good - cos if they are I'll order a set right away - no pressure eh ;)

Anybody know if I will have to pay import taxes on top of the $505 too?

Finally... Anyone know of clearance issues using the WW spindles? i.e. Could I fit 14" rims or would I have to fit a larger wheel (15, or 16")?

Cheers,

Mike

well the spindles are well done but at the end of the day its two VW spindles welded together. i dont see any problem running 14s as its been done plenty of times.

pound to dollar ratio is awesome at the mo, for us anyway.
import duty is a bit hit n miss, sometimes you get done other times you dont. your still saving a load of cash anyway!
dont use fed ex, try using USPS, less likely to get stung! :wink:

Hi,

What's the consensus on the use of the flipped balljoints on the slammedpanel spindles?

Anybody seen a set, or know anybody running them?

I ask because we just bought some NSU wheels from 68only (thanks again Mark - a top bloke). The NSU wheels are 14Jx5" and I have concerns about the overall track/clearance running 20mm (or 25mm)adapters AND spindles that also increase the track i.e. the 12mm per side with the WW versions - hence the request for info' about the slammedpanel spindles :)

I was also informed of some dropped spindles available from Franklins VW (http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/drop-spindles.htm), and I've emailed Franklins for more info.

I appreciate there are ways around the total track-width - i.e. porsche drilled/studded discs/drums, or a narrowed beam - but ideally I'd like the simplest solution i.e. spindles :)

Cheers,

Mike

I'd be up for that - plus I'm only down the road from you (I'm in Walton-on-Thames).

Although right now I'm undecided about which spindles to go for...

I like the idea of a 4+ inch drop - and no added track width - from slammedpanel's, but the balljoint thing does give me concerns (still not had any reply from them).

The Wagenswest spindles appear to be quality items but the extra 12mm per side - plus 20-25mm from running an adapter may be an issue.

Which spindles are you going for?

Can someone please help me, I too want to lower but havent got a scooby on how to do this, I would like to keep the ride quality so are these spindles the way 4ward? Pls let me know what to do as I have a bit of spare cash and want to do it sooner rather than later.

Thank you kind gents!

If you want to keep the same ride quality then dropped spindles are deffo the way to go! Remember that they are not adjustable so you need to be sure about how much to drop your ride. I'm not sure which are best though so keep watching this thread...

oh, and lend us a tenner if you're flush! :lol:

;)

I was thinking Wagenwest, but i am running a 4" narrowed beam so 12mm is neither here nor there. Not really interested in turning things upside down...!

Cheers for help Gents, I will get some prices and crack on as then weather is here! I dont want to go overboard I just want less wheelarch gap and more control in the bloody northern wind!!
J & M that tenner is in the post :wink:

On the import duty/VAT front, you need to look at a possible 30% on the total of cost AND shipping. They will charge import duty of upto 10% on the parts and then 17.5% on the total incl shipping. Sometimes you get away with it, but not too often. Often you will get a letter from UPS/DHL weeks later requesting money.
SOLUTION..Ask the shipper if they will under-quote value of goods on the Customs Form they are shipped with. They will probably have to insure for the same amount, so if they go walkies you may have problems getting the full sum back via insurance; but DHL/UPS/BAX etc are pretty reliable. Good luck.

Latest posts