Which Motor Oil to use?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should know better than to start this old chestnut Simon :lol: Morris 30 is good for summer, but any good quality 20/50 multigrade is fine in oldish engines and 10/40 is best for newish engines especially in winter. I once ran an engine for months on Castrol R racing castor oil just because I liked the smell :roll: - not to be recommended though.

Good to see you and the family at Bristol - lovely laid back event :)

Brian

Hi Brian,
It was great to see you too :mrgreen: we did enjoy the show and the weather was perfect 8)
Thanks for the advice ;)

Hope to see you soon

BJ1 said:
You should know better than to start this old chestnut Simon :lol: Morris 30 is good for summer, but any good quality 20/50 multigrade is fine in oldish engines and 10/40 is best for newish engines especially in winter. I once ran an engine for months on Castrol R racing castor oil just because I liked the smell :roll: - not to be recommended though.

Good to see you and the family at Bristol - lovely laid back event :)

Brian
dumb question, why the low recommdation on Castor-R ? I have used it in my air cooled 4 stroke race bikes in the past and currently use Blendzall castor 45wt in my race bike. I was thinking about converting from dino oil over to Castor in the 71 bus. Is there any drawbacks I'm not aware of?

I was about to start doing my own oil changes - redundancy and no job :( means own servicing from here on. I have bought a tin of the Halfords Classic Car oil about £19 for 5 litres ... dont know if its any good though :?:

Pickles said:
I was about to start doing my own oil changes - redundancy and no job :( means own servicing from here on. I have bought a tin of the Halfords Classic Car oil about £19 for 5 litres ... dont know if its any good though :?:
done that most my life on bikes and cars,,,in terms of this oil which is unknown here in the states, check on the net or on the lable for ZDDP for classic cars and hot rods using dino oils this is important.

I stand corrected, I just went and looked it up, it's a mineral oil, so ZDDP is not and issue, looks like good stuff from what I'm reading, if it's good for a 1960's Roll's or Land Rover,,,,I would think a VW would love it ! :D

found this also

Overall Rating 5 out of 5 Good for Air-cooled VW,March 06, 2012 By chugchug Quality 5 out of 5 Value 5 out of 5 Performance 5 out of 5 "I was searching for a cheaper alternative to the SAE 30 oil that I had been using in my air-cooled VW bus. I decided to join the late 20th century by upgrading to a multi-grade oil. This offering from Halfords works a treat in my bus year round and is well within spec according to all the technical research I could find. I've also started using it in my Essex V6-powered Transit. Good stuff!"
Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

i have used this for years in all my aircooled vehicles

http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/254/H301G/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chris

been useing the halfords green snot myself and has been fine ! dare i say it but seems to run a little cooler on it than the old morris .

Someone once told me ( a mechanic )that halfords oils come from castrol anyway ??? dont know how true that is but i still use it :D

bac2ba6 said:
been useing the halfords green snot myself and has been fine ! dare i say it but seems to run a little cooler on it than the old morris .

Someone once told me ( a mechanic )that halfords oils come from castrol anyway ??? dont know how true that is but i still use it :D
that makes sense, they are just a marketing company as far as I can tell...

bac2ba6 said:

I have used Halfords mineral oil for the past year and found it to be very effective, though I have always had a nagging doubt that it might be slightly 'own brand' tainted. This thread has gone a long way to reassure me that all is well. Cheers folk. :D

Good to hear all those positve :) :) comments on the Halfords stuff before I head out to the drive to put in in my bus. 8)

sidecargezzer said:
bac2ba6 said:

that makes sense, they are just a marketing company as far as I can tell...

They certainly don't own any oil fields :p

I've also been told Halfords oil is Castrol

Morrisons 20/50w semi synthetic in my 1955cc. Last time it was around £5 for 5 litres

I am not spending massive amounts on oil when I change it every 2000 miles.

Adey.

adey71 said:
Morrisons 20/50w semi synthetic in my 1955cc. Last time it was around £5 for 5 litres

Adey.

This my friends IS the answer :mrgreen:

My mate works for the largest OIL packager in the UK and he just laughs when I talk 10-40, 20-50 HD this or that... I suspect he knows more than he is saying :lol: and it all comes out the same hopper ! I guess if your changing it often and its the correct grade ANY oil you use will be light years ahead of the tackle they considered acceptable in 1969

Eeza said:
adey71 said:

Adey.

This my friends IS the answer :mrgreen:

My mate works for the largest OIL packager in the UK and he just laughs when I talk 10-40, 20-50 HD this or that... I suspect he knows more than he is saying :lol: and it all comes out the same hopper ! I guess if your changing it often and its the correct grade ANY oil you use will be light years ahead of the tackle they considered acceptable in 1969

There are variations, especially in the additives used in different oils and on the BMW (with 20k plus miles between oil changes) I certainly do spend a few pennies on decent oil, same for the bike but not the bus which maybe covers 2k a year if I am lucky.

Adey

Latest posts