Wide 5 front disc conversion.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi kevdonlon
Already expressed an interest in these, but just asking a really basic question - I'm in the middle of the process of going back to stock 14" steels - will this set up still be OK or is it purely for 15" beit alloys or steel?

kevdonlon said:
mcvw said:
Hi Kevdonlon,

A few more Q's if you don't mind...

- Did you need to make any other brake upgrades i.e. master cylinder/servo/pipes etc?
- Does this mod' make any difference (plus or minus) to the overall width of the front-track?
- Regarding the hub - would there be any restriction as per what wheels might or might not be compatible?

I looked back at your 70 bus thread but didn't see mention anything regarding the above.

Thank you,

Mike

hi mike,
-so far mine is running on a standard master cylinder, no problems at all, the brake flexi's are mk 3 astra, these are a direct replacement at the standard vw end
-if i remember correctly ( it was a while ago) it increases the track by 8mm per side, not a problem for me as i have a narrowed beam
-i have had 15"standard beetle steels, 15" mws radars,15"flat four sprintstars on mine, i can try 15" mws brm reps if anyone needs to know, no clearance probs

cheers kev

huh.gif

tumble.gif

hi guys, no news yet, i have been in teneriffe for a week,i spoke to neal at Rakeway yesterday and he is going to look back at what we did and get a price, unfortunately i was on a course for work so couldnt speak to him for long, i will try at the weekend
cheers kev

hi all,first post on here,been browsing for a while though.
im interested in these if they will fit a splitty,mines a 66 and will have dropped spindles and k/l setup.

heres hoping these will fit

cheers all
russ

looks like these should fit a splitty depending on where the caliper bracket bolts depending on flipped spindles or not

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=1580&xSec=1369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

csp state there kit to fit bus 64 -70

so im guessing the spindles are the same

if someone can advise on the caliper mount for dropped spindles ill add my name on the list for a set

cheers
russ

A quick hup for this thread as it's so interesting.

There's interest from the other side....SSVC who would like to put their names down for a set.

Pete B, did you work out if this would fit your set up? Some of us splitties have dropped spindles. Does this make a difference?

My thought is that the more people who add their names the more viable this will be.

Incidentally, as I'm looking to buy a bay, when did they get their disc brakes?

Cheers, Terry

change to discs as standard is on the crossover model, approx 71 to 72 onwards. Tell tale is the 112PCD wheels not 205 PCD.

71 model year onwards which equates to vehicles built August 70 on.

Course, the other option is Kev could sell his CAD plans to interested parties... :wink:

I feel like a naughty dog waiting for his owner to come back home with this thread.. So far I have chewed the sofa whilst having sex with the hoover then I messed in the corner.....

If you're swapping in disks on a drum system, I think you need a proportioning valve to give the system a 40/60 to 30/70 split to your disks, so you have equal braking on all 4's. this way you don't lock up your front disks all the time before your rear drums even have a chance to grip. I know there are those that run without, but they burn through brake shoes, and still don't receive the stopping power they could get with a proportioning valve. There are adjustable ones that you can buy right off the shelf at most parts stores, or you can grab one from the driver's side frame of a '72

cunning plan said:
I feel like a naughty dog waiting for his owner to come back home with this thread.. So far I have chewed the sofa whilst having sex with the hoover then I messed in the corner.....

I know what you mean, err sort of. If I were able to buy the kit I don't think I'd have time to fit it for months (still have some ICTs waiting in a box).

BUT I just WANT to have it, part 'object of desire', part the hope of getting 'a deal'.

Cheers

James

It looks like its not a go'er or Kev's mate would have jumped at the chance to make 10/20 kits..

We need Kev to be awesome and lend us the technical data so we can source another manufacturer... ?

:|

TTTTTTT

Think you may be right, not many would miss out on that sort of sales opportunity. I'm going to drop out of the list now - taken a different route and just secured a 'new' 71 westy - sure would have been cheaper to change the brakes!

cunning plan said:
It looks like its not a go'er or Kev's mate would have jumped at the chance to make 10/20 kits..

We need Kev to be awesome and lend us the technical data so we can source another manufacturer... ?

:|

TTTTTTT

Latest posts