Wind buffeting?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesnailman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pop top westy seems really sensitive to wind buffeting. I have standard ride height, 14r 185 tyres, a reasonable steering box that's well adjusted and little play in all the areas that should be tight. I like the bouncy ride, and as I've got a standard engine I don't really feel the need for firmer shocks.

Any solutions (other than going even slower) or ideas?

Just comes with the territory - no fun driving in a straight line all the time :lol:

I had the same driving on Sunday. To make it worse, the winds were strong enough to catch the pop-top and rip the fixings inside straight off the roof, so the bellows inflated and the roof lifted. Scary stuff while on the motorway trying to stay in lane!

me too, i need to drive on the m180 for a short while and when real windy i do wonder all over, but im on my way to work and very early so could be that ! :?

Stockers hide worn and tired shocks much better than lowered buses but still suffer if they aren't up to spec. If it wanders like a drunk squirrel in a cross wind and dives badly under braking then shocks may be beyond their best.

Just because they're tall and soft doesn't mean they should be vague and mushy :D

A friend who is into stock height things swears by Konis and having followed them down some back lanes last year, there's no truth in the rumour that stock height buses dont handle 8)

Also check your tires, if they're not proper commercial (C or D) load rated ones, that won't be helping things either

Also do you have an anti roll/sway bar fitted?

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SwayBars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks guys. Seems like some had it worse than me at the weekend. I found the rat wells page also, but I wonder if I should change the shocks first... The tyres have the right load rating also - good suggestion.

I'll perhaps price some good shocks, didn't know you could get konis

Removing the fact that your driving a huge loaf of bread, if its excessive wander then start looking at your rolling gear, shocks are very likely to be past there best if they've been on there a while, tyres etc and as above ARB

Latest posts