Window regulator removal?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesx

Reaction score
My window regulator On my way! my 1971 bay is very stiff so I thought I would replace it.

Do I need to remove the quarter light window to remove the regulator or can I get away with wiggling it out?! Any other tips? Thanks.
Jules

If it's stiff, just grease/oil it.

The reproduction ones are poor quality compared to the originals. :)

I removed (and subsequently re-fitted) one of mine without touching the quarter light. There is one tricky tightspot between the stem of the quarter light and the door pressing that the regulator has to pass through.
Write up here:
http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/window-problem.28773/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOS regulator here:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=66581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just come here to back up Tofufi.... The new regulators are absolutely awful, my last lot were useless from the off, and the ones before that lasted two weeks. The genuine, oily and smelly one I fitted after that has been smooth and lovely for over a year now.

seconded, if its just stiff lube it up, I replaced mine with one from JK lasted two operations then the geer box strted slipping, I took it back and ordered one from heritage...... its doing ok but cleaned and oiled up the old one and it runs sweet (so i now realise I was hasty) so when the heritage one gives up I will change it back to the old one.

Thanks for the replies - unfortunately I was a little hasty and went and purchased a pattern regulator. I have offered it up but not fitted it yet as it is clear that the components are all attached to the cable in the wrong places! Shocking quality! I will exchange for a better quality one but I will try and lube the old one first as you have suggested.

Sigh, I suppose it's true - you get what you pay for :D

With how much of a PITA they are to install- fair warning- good second hand is the ONLY way to go IMO.

best of luck :)

Latest posts