Window winder handles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raveboy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Microbus
OK peeps,

I had some new door cards made up but i think that the hardboard may be slightly thicker, and that in conjunction with the vinyl being
slightly padded with foam has resulted in the window winders not fitting on cause the splined shaft on the winder mechanism is sub-flush
to the outside of the vinyl. I almost need a shaft extension.
I don't want to bung one on and do it up tight cause when I wind it it would scrape the stitched logo.
Anyone have any ideas ??

08102011398.jpg

There should be a big plastic washer behind the handle so it doesn't tear into the card.

No I think he is saying because the new cards are more padded and therefore thicker the spindle the winder fits to doesn't stick out far enough to fit the winder too so with the plastic washer it would be worse

You got it Turkish :) Was wondering about some kind of spline extension ?
If not might have to look at getting something machined

I too have nice new and padded door cards and yes like
you my shaft isnt big enough :shock: :msn4:

TBH ive got mine on and they work but very hard to wind, but they have got a little easier over time.

I think looking at it its probably easier to adjust the door card (ie countersink it somehow) than trying
to extend your shaft (a lot less painful too :msn4: ) :lol:

cheers
potts

Hey Potts,

Yeah I was looking at the door card to see if there would be a way of modding it as I have the same problem with the door lock and opening handle extrusion. I'm now thinking of modifying the the actual winder itself so that it goes sub-flush into the door card and mates with the spline a bit better. I can then get some of the plastic trim washers that zed mentioned and cover the raggy edge up. I'll post some piccies if I have any success.

Ta
Raver :party0046:

Could you pull/cut out some of the padding for, say, 1/2" around the winder, and leave the vinyl to trap neatly under the plastic washer?

Same thing if you cut the card - leave the vinyl - you were probably going to anyway...

OK, so I managed to get all the door furniture on. I trimmed around the various apertures and cut the foam and
vinyl folds back a tad. Then managed to get the handle on first - Needed to buy some slightly longer stainless
self tapping screws to reach through to to the screw clamp. Then also managed to push the chrome lock surround
on as well and get the retaining screw done up.

15102011399.jpg

Got some new winders and ground the splined section back so that the start of the internal splines were flush with
the opening end. Then I ground out the internal circumference of the trim washer so that it slid right over the winder shaft. This allowed
me to push the winder back into the door card more whilst still covering up the raggy edge of the door card hole.

15102011402.jpg

Looks pretty good I think and does not drag on the vinyl too much

15102011403.jpg

:D :D

ozziedog said:
Great looking cards there Raveboy !! 8)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Marvel said:
Like those cards a lot!!!

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Yeah we are real pleased with them. Our upholstry guy did
a fab job :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CHeers
Raver :party0046:

Latest posts