Windscreen wiper switch bypass Early Bay 1968?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa69

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can bypass the windscreen wiper switch by simply connecting the live 30 to 53 ?

image-2023-04-18-183332281.png

No, if you do that the parking mechanism will short out term 53 (and therefore live 30) to ground through the wire connected to
term 31b, and blow the fuse if not worse. Heat up terminal 53b instead, which I think is the hi-speed terminal. Wiper motor should run as long as
30 and 53b are connected, assuming wiper motor case is properly grounded.

No, if you do that the parking mechanism will short out term 53 (and therefore live 30) to ground through the wire connected to
term 31b, and blow the fuse if not worse. Heat up terminal 53b instead, which I think is the hi-speed terminal. Wiper motor should run as long as
30 and 53b are connected, assuming wiper motor case is properly grounded.
many thanks for the reply

So 30 to 53b should be ok

Well on second look, the schematic above may be a bit misleading, and perhaps connecting to term 53 may be OK, if
you would prefer having the motor run at its lower speed.
I would at any rate disconnect and insulate the wire ends on the switch not being used.

In the schematic above, the middle contact at D being connected to term 53 would imply that the cam mechanism
causes it to alternately contact the term 53a wire and the 31b wire, but I think it should rather be the 53a contact in the middle.
Also, the legend for terminal 31b says "Switched Ground to Wiper Switch" whereas it should read "Switched Ground
to Wiper Motor".

In the schematic above, the middle contact at D being connected to term 53 would imply that the cam mechanism
causes it to alternately contact the term 53a wire and the 31b wire, but I think it should rather be the 53a contact in the middle.
Also, the legend for terminal 31b says "Switched Ground to Wiper Switch" whereas it should read "Switched Ground
to Wiper Motor".
I guess I should explain what I am trying to achieve as the title is perhaps a little misleading. The wipers seem to not work most of the time, I had them working when I removed the switch from the dash and when I put the switch back in the dash it didnt work again. I have taken the switch out again and checked live and earth and they seem fine so I was thinking how I could logically test the wiper motor by bypassing the switch.

Connect a ground and then put a 12V feed to terminal 53 and then 53b to see if the motor works.
Sorry to sound like a idiot but when say connect to a ground - do you mean run a ground from the motor to earth ? And if so where would I attach the ground on the motor?

Just to make sure I doing this correctly. I will be taking the speed wire (black one) from the switch and taking the live feed from fuse box (which was connected to the switch) and connecting them together. Is that correct? Leaving all other cables from the motor to the switch and ground to switch.

Just to make sure I am doing this correctly. I will be taking the live wire from the fuse box (currently connected to the live term on the switch) and connecting it to the speed1 (black wire). I will leave all other cable connected to the switch including the earth.

Ok so I have tested the switch and it appears to working however the motor is not working. It sort of makes a sound for less than a second and then nothing. Any ideas how I can troubleshoot the motor?

This is a timely issue for me, since I discovered last winter that while the low speed on my wipers works fine, the high speed has quit working entirely. Now I have the information I need to feed power directly to #53b and see what happens. (I don't think it's the switch, though. I swapped it out with another used switch I had and the problem didn't go away, so I think it's either the motor or the wire from 53b. Either way, it will probably mean removing the motor, which is a huge PITA.

There's wiring diagrams for both early and late bus wiper motors & switches to be found at the following forum thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8956954#8956954According to that, one of my remarks about the accuracy of the diagram posted in the first post of this thread
is mistaken.
Thanks. I found another wiring diagram that looks to be about the same. Now for getting that puppy out from under the dash, and sourcing a replacement motor if this one turns out to be bad.

Quick update. I have the motor out now so my next question is how do I test it? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Latest posts