Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really like what you have done to your van, especially the functionality and look of the cab area - nice!
Think I will be shelling out for a Blaupunkt Skagen 400 DAB v soon and look forward to hearing what solution you arrive at re the DAB aerial :)
(y)
Though I might go for the Blaupunkt Stockholm(?) as that also plays CDs - I'm a bit of an old fart that still has a few CDs kicking about in the glovebox - that way it should cover all options 🤞😂

Decided to uninstall the Save My Bug, before our trip to Porthmadog last week, as it’s been a bit of a faff when checking oil (I carry the original dipstick).

I also wanted to see how hot the original dipstick got as a test after a long run (which it didn’t). I’d also seen a rather nice AAC gauge to go alongside the tacho.

I’m picking up the temp from the sump so would imagine it to be low’ish anyway, so purely a reference.

Looks nice, but I will have to change the lamp to led to match the tacho 🤣

IMG_7075.jpeg

Couple of little mods before our last outing of 2023 to Bala this Friday.

IMG_7098.jpeg

IMG_7099.jpeg

Firstly the DAB aerial conundrum, doesn't help living in a poor reception area but the fact I was picking up 5 Live inside the garage was a pretty good sign.

IMG_7096.jpeg

IMG_7100.jpeg
Next fitted an inside / outside temp display, fired up the diesel heater for a few minutes to see the red display on the up 👍.

I wonder what the numbers will show this weekend ❄️

Attachments

• IMG_7096.jpeg
    IMG_7096.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
It’ll be interesting to hear how you’ve got on with your dab set up now. I’ve always been put off by a good friend of mine telling me about dab issues at the Mazda main dealer where he worked. This was at least a half a dozen years ago and possibly more. The upshot was that if a car came with dab as standard in whatever model it was absolutely fine. If however they retrofitted a dab radio to the same car model etc etc, they could never seem to get it to work as well as one factory fitted as stock. But as I said, that was several years ago.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,tell me it’s fab now :)

Aren’t DAB radios kind of redundant these days now that your phone can get literally get every single Digital station out there? All you need is a Bluetooth headset or a usb and away you go.
Or am I missing something?

It’ll be interesting to hear how you’ve got on with your dab set up now. I’ve always been put off by a good friend of mine telling me about dab issues at the Mazda main dealer where he worked. This was at least a half a dozen years ago and possibly more. The upshot was that if a car came with dab as standard in whatever model it was absolutely fine. If however they retrofitted a dab radio to the same car model etc etc, they could never seem to get it to work as well as one factory fitted as stock. But as I said, that was several years ago.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,tell me it’s fab now :)
If Mazda were anything like the Ford-sourced CANBUS system in my old Tourneo there might have been some important updates to the BCM software configuration not done when retro-fitting the DAB head unit.

I’ve just fitted a DAB headunit with signal via the original aerial.
The reception is patchy but I’m just chuffed to have music!
I think fitting a new standard aerial would bring a significant improvement!

I’ve just fitted a DAB headunit with signal via the original aerial.
The reception is patchy but I’m just chuffed to have music!
I think fitting a new standard aerial would bring a significant improvement!
You might be better off fitting a dedicated amplified DAB aerial as high up and as far away from the engine as possible (y)

2ce9110d-c0eb-456b-bb6c-b4f77359e450.jpeg

Arrived at Pen-y-bont site at Bala early this afternoon, it’s only a 50 mile jaunt cross country from Llanasa, it’s a great drive along the B4501
It’s gonna be a cold one tonight, we’re well prepared. On the subject of temperature,
the inside / outside worked well as did the new sump sender. Interesting to see the temp rise quickly then ease off once the cooling flaps had presumably fully opened. DAB aerial worked well once we got out of the village.

Last edited:
View attachment 7158

Arrived at Pen-y-bont site at Bala early this afternoon, it’s only a 50 mile jaunt cross country from Llanasa, it’s a great drive along the B4501
It’s gonna be a cold one tonight, we’re well prepared. On the subject of temperature,
the inside / outside worked well as did the new sump sender. Interesting to see the temp rise quickly then ease off once the cooling flaps had presumably fully opened. DAB aerial worked well once we got out of the village.
Greats pics!
Which DAB aerial did you use?

Greats pics!
Which DAB aerial did you use?

IMG_7138.jpeg

IMG_7141.jpeg

I decided on this windscreen aerial and this powered splitter as I wanted to retain FM if at all possible. I forgot to even try the FM on our last trip as DAB worked well.

Only downside with the aerial is you have to scrape some paint off the pillar to attach the grounding foil, but the foil covers everything once installed 👍

Latest posts