Winter Road Trip do i take the van?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddffrost

Reaction score
Hi,

101407030412.jpg

Off to Northern Scotland next month.

My missus wants to take the van but its a good 8 hour drive in my car which aint no slow poke!

Should i be brave or possibly stupid and take my van on a big trek?

Anyone use their van in winter and if so how do you keep warm etc?

Thanks

Dave

take the van that`s what it`s for. I always use the cooker to heat the van before going to bed and you`ve also got the added advantage of your missus to help keep you warm.....the fact your even asking says you want to take the bus really. Have a good one

Hi,

Yer i totally want to take the van i'm just worried i might actually freeze to death on the way there.

Can you buy heaters that plug into the fag lighter?

Hi Dave, i was faced with the same question last xmas. Do i take the van on a 350 mile trip to cornwall frrom liverpool! My heaters didnt work and it was bloody freezin so i was gonna take the Passat.
I thought sod it! Ill get some heatin sorted. Tries the plug in cig lighter heater and it was useless, did demist 2'' of windsceen tho! In the end(Dec 21st) i bought new heat exchangers and changed the exhaust to standard and made sure the heating system was workin as it should.
Its a very simple system and when workin properly churns out enough heat not to freeze! We bought an inline blower from bluebird customs to extract more heat and it was quite toastie and we had a great time! You should defo go in the van tho, just take plenty of extra blankets and jumpers for the night!
Good luck!
Steve :D

hi,

i've tried turning on the heaters on our last little outing and the result was a mild wofting of cold petrol fumes!

i might look into this extra heat system though sounds promising iif not expensive?

any links etc?

Dave

Was it petrol fumes or exhaust fumes?

Exhaust fumes means you need new heat exchangers (generally speaking)

My van heating smells of petrol for about 30 seconds after starting, then it clears up. I'm gonna get a carbon monoxide alarm (like a smoke alarm) to keep in the van on monday. It shouldn't (and mine doesn't) smell of exhaust fumes so I suspect fuel or oil is dripping into / onto my heat exchangers or into the heating system somehow. I'll check it out over Christmas on my van.

I do find my van heating, now it is connected up, is just about enough to keep the temperature sensible. I wouldn't call it warm but I was on my own and the rear vents were open. With them shut, all the hot air going to the front I would hope it would be even better.
Stock heating takes about 10 mins to warm up I have found. So it is useless on short journeys, but excellent on motorway cruising.

I tend to stick to about 50mph too, obviously driving faster would increase the airflow through the heat exchangers and keep the van a bit warmer.

From reading other peoples posts, it appears the reproduction heat exchangers are no match for genuine german heat exchangers in terms of heat output.

link for Bluebird

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/

Check out the propex heater ...its the best system to stop
you freezing

ddffrost said:
Off to Northern Scotland next month.

Whereabouts are you heading? The middle bit gets cold but around the coast (west coast at least) it doesn't get that cold, just wet. As the others say, sort out the heating and take extra blankets. I sometimes stuff the front vent area behind the grill with anything to stop the draft. If you're cooking in the bus in the evenings then it'll be cosy. You've got to give it a go with the bus - you'll be dining out on the stories for years to come.

Off to Findorn Bay its kind of North East on the coast.

We've actually got a hoilday home booked but the missus wants to take the van just for the experience.

No cooker either as its a micro bus.

I think i'll sort the heating service it as it needs a tune up and take it up there that way if we get bored in the challet we can go exploring!

Dave

also checkyour engine bay seal as i`ve been told that the exhaust fumes get into the heating system via ineffective engine bay seals??This may or may not be true. It`s just what i`ve been told.
I tmight be an idea to get new exchangers, check the plastic pipes coming from your exchangers, the lagging on the pipes to the front and all connections in general. There`s a long way for the heat to travel and a big space to heat so check everything is in order.

ddffrost said:
Off to Findorn Bay its kind of North East on the coast.

Dave

:D

Lovely place. Ive only been in the summer, and it was always wet and cold!
Great beaches and amazing wildlife - dolphins and seals etc - you'll love it.

(My wife hails from Elgin, just doon the rood)

Have fun! FWIW, I take the Passat and stay in a Premier Inn :lol:

Hi,

Yer the missus is from there been up last winter and it didnt rain to much but man was it freezing!

Its her 21st so she is pretty much in charge and wants to take the van up from Notts a good 9-10 hour drive.

I'm tempted but i think it could be an experience!

dave

Latest posts